>    Subject: Re: Making a difference,
>    From: Sid Levin <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:00:20 EDT

WELL SAID, Jeanette!!
Yes, we can make a difference. Write letters and become knowledgeable on the
issue.

Example:
(1) Those opposed to stem cell research refer to "baby killing"  and other
sordid words.
What baby? A five day old fertilized egg (blastocyst) cannot develop or
mature into a human if it is not implanted into a womb.
(2) When they say: "Cord blood cells or fat cells or cells from a corps are
better"
TELL 'em: Not according to most scientists who say, THE MOST VERSATILE CELLS
TO DATE HAVE PROVEN TO BE FROM FERTILIZED EGGS ABOUT 5 DAYS AFTER
FERTILIZATION.
(3) When they say anything pertaining to precepts of Catholicism, I have two
things
to say:  (A) How many Catholics practice birth control?
(B) (this one I'm not sure of, and would welcome authoritative correction):
The Pope has never given Catholics a definitive answer to: When does life
begin?
The only specific I have seen is (I believe) Thomas Aquinas who defined life
as beginning at the "quickening" (When the baby moves and is felt by the
mother.)

Many years ago I took part in a College debate titled:
Resolved that the sale of birth control devices should be made legal.
My opponent was friendly, but said what I proposed was akin to murder!
Did the Church take a position that life begins at moment of ejaculation?

(4) As to all other religious affiliations against stem cell research from a
blastocyst: I have never heard of a religious service for the discarded eggs
leftover from invitro procedures.

(5) The question to which none of them give a satisfactory answer: WHAT IS
BETTER, TO ASHCAN THE SURPLUS EGGS, OR USE THEM TO BETTER THE LIFE OF
HUMANITY NOW AND INTO THE FUTURE?

Sid Levin
PS If you have not yet signed on to the electronic petition on the
Massachusetts General Hospital web site, why not? Write to me and I'll send
you a fast link for that site and another by CAMR (Coalition for Advancement
of Medical Research) so you can automatically send letters to the President.

Yes, Jeannette is right! We can make a difference, but sitting around feeling
sorry.