>    Subject: Re: medical care of PD patients
>    From: Camilla Flintermann <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 11:16:41 -0400

Hi Charlie---
I don't know about hospitals, but at the NH I saw the record they kept, and
asked specifically WHY the time given was not written down---they brushed
it aside as "this is just the way we do it".  DUH !
For many patients the hour or so difference may not be important--but for
PWPs it is, of course.  I
DID talk to the head nurse and assistant head nurse, and they were more
focused on their problems with rules and staffing  that required some
rigidity than on our problems with inappropriate med times.
In the end, that became their problem, too, as Peter's dementia worsened in
part due to the med irregularities, and they had to deal with that !..

>Camilla
>     Regarding the time, I believe it is written in the Kardex and is the
>"exact" time but I may be wrong.  I haven't been on that side of it in 4
>years although plenty of time  (4X) since then but as a patient and all PD
>related.  I think my Idea may get shot down by JCAH (JCAHO) in
>accreditation issues and State Laws,  Since nurses have to be sure that the
>medication given is actually taken by the patient I believe they
>must  observe the patient actually swallowing the pill.    If it is
>possible I would  like to see it tried on some patients. I still suggest
>that the head nurse be told the necessity of meds being given exactly on
time.

>Charlie

Camilla Flintermann, former CG for Peter 83/70/55
                     Oxford, Ohio

           on the web at   http://www.geocities.com/camillahf/index.html
           and also at   http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

               "Ask me about the CARE list for Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "
           And visit the CARE webring at http://www.pdcaregiver.org