>    Subject: MJFF: fatboy: hacking
>    From: janet paterson <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 12:45:15 -0400

hi all

i think there might be some hacking afoot

the e-mail address in the full header information
on the pesky messages for the >>Return-Path: line:

is misspelled; when i send a message to that address
it comes back as an error

however, in forwarding this message to

(with one m)

there was no bounce-back error

altering e-mail message header information
is considered (you pays yer money and you takes yer choice):
unethical,
fraudulent,
mischevious,
malicious,
illegal,
goofy,

in my humble opinion, of course

i am 'blind copying' this message to camilla and
her mjff contact as well as to the (genuine) fatboy postmaster

janet

ps
for whatever it may be worth
all those gobbledeegook headers
reveal in detail how an e-mail message gets from me to you
including exactly which mailserver computers
pass the message on down the ether line
much like the routing of a long distance telephone call

in e-mail internet lingo, all of these headers:

mean different things in terms of
identifying the source of an e-mail message.
and are frequently manipulated for fraudulent
or spamming purposes
buyer beware