The Boston Globe
Getting a grip on stem cell research
By Ellen Goodman, 7/15/2001

 IS IT ONLY a week since I sat back in my easy chair and watched
the civil war erupt between the old prolife allies?

The fissure was over embryonic stem cell research. At issue
was - and still is - whether the government should fund the use
of leftover frozen embryos for promising research to cure some
very lethal diseases.

Suddenly, folks like Orrin Hatch were asking themselves:
How can it be right to discard these embryos or leave them
in a freezer rather than to use them to save lives?

This question led many from the fringe into what pollsters
always call the muddled middle when they talk about the
abortion debate. I welcomed them into the vast group
of Americans who believe an embryo is more than mere tissue
but less than a full human being.

Well, be careful what you feel smug about.

Then we heard that a private fertility clinic in Virginia, the Jones
Institute for Reproductive Medicine, had mixed up a batch
of embryos for the sole and exclusive purpose of extracting
stem cells. This produced a different reaction in my own muddled
middle: How can it be right to create embryos just to do research
with them?

And once again the emphasis shifted among those who think the
embryo is less than a full human being but more than tissue.

For once, I even agree with President Bush's spokesman,
Ari Fleischer: ''The president views this as a reminder that
this is not a simple matter.''

It's fitting, I suppose, that the made-to-order embryos came
from this private fertility clinic. The first American ''test-tube''
baby was conceived at Jones some 20 years ago. The ethical
problems that we are now wrestling with in stem cell research
actually began with in vitro fertilization.

We've been following the bouncing ball of bioethics
in reproduction for a generation now. When Louise Brown,
the original test-tube Brit, was sprung on an astonished public,
nobody even thought about the embryos left in the petri dish.

Over the years we've heard all sorts of arguments about them.
Couples have gone to court wrangling for custody of their
microscopic creations. Countries have debated their fate.

Most people have come to regard IVF as a blessing to infertile
couples. But the ball keeps bouncing. In more recent years
couples and scientists have created embryos both for their
potential life and as ''medicine'' for others.

The most dramatic example is Adam Nash, whose embryo
was selected from 14 others so he could become a healthy
bone marrow donor for his terminally ill sister. This prospect
of making one child for another made many uneasy,
but it resulted in two healthy lives. You could, especially
if you are Adam and sister Molly's parents, call it a double
blessing.

But now what happens when researchers deliberately seek out
donors and create embryos from their sperm and eggs for the
sole purpose of removing the stem cells for research?
What happens when the stem cell is not a byproduct but
a product?

The folks at the Jones Institute argue ''the creation of embryos
for research purposes'' was not only ''justifiable'' but our ''duty''
to human kind. But the doctors have offered no serious proof
that these new embryos are any better for research than the
thousands that are already available and going to waste.

This is where the ball stops bouncing: The technology that
makes many queasy isn't even necessary. This is where it hits
the wall.

The Jones Institute research report couldn't have come
at a more politically loaded moment. Opponents of funding
stem cell research point to it as proof of a dangerously
slippery slope.

But if I may change metaphors, it seems to me that government
involvement would put a foothold on that slope.

What we have now is a wholly unregulated fertility industry.
A Wild West of reproduction. All out of the public eye.

The Jones Institute folks paid egg and sperm donors,
and made embryos. Ironically, if we ever approve this research,
no federally funded scientist could touch their stem cells.
In that way, funding could actually tame the Wild West.

I don't agree with opponents of embryonic stem cell research
who will come before Congress to describe IVF clinics as
''frozen orphanages.'' The extraordinary promise of stem cell
research validates the use of these, leftover embryos.
But Gary Bauer is right when he says: ''We've got to figure out
a way to avoid turning over to the guys in white coats
in laboratories all the profound decisions about what kind
of a culture and society we're going to have.''

The best way, it seems to this observer, who is now up from
the easy chair, is to approve and control the research with
public funds attached to tight ethical strings.

Ellen Goodman's e-mail address is [log in to unmask]

This story ran on page 6 of the Boston Globe on 7/15/2001.

SOURCE: The Boston Globe
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/196/oped/Getting_a_grip_on_stem_cell_research+.shtml

* * *