Sunday July 15, 10:50 am Eastern Time
Press Release
DeLay, Armey Warn They'll Block U.S. Funding for Stem-Cell
Research With Amendment Even if Bush Drops Ban;
'We'll Treat It Like Federal Funding of Abortion,' Delay Says
Majority Whip Says Bush Told Him He Will Do 'What His Heart
Believes'

NEW YORK, July 15 /PRNewswire/ -- If President George W. Bush
opts to drop the ban on controversial funding for stem-cell
research, Republican Majority Whip Tom DeLay and House
majority leader Dick Armey tell Newsweek they will seek to bar
such funding by amending appropriations bills. ``We'll treat it
like federal funding of abortion, putting a 'Hyde Amendment'
on it,'' DeLay says in the July 23 issue of Newsweek
(on newsstands Monday, July 16), referring to the amendment
that prevents any federal funding of abortion.

President Bush met privately with DeLay late last week in the
Cabinet Room for a heart-to-heart on the stem-cell issue.
``He looked me in the eye and told me he'd do what he thought
was right, what his heart believes,'' DeLay tells Chief Political
Correspondent Howard Fineman. ``I think he will,'' he added.

DeLay also outlined for Newsweek his own political agenda,
that may not always coincide with the softer conservatism
of the president. Fineman reports that despite a shrinking
surplus, DeLay wants another round of tax cuts, and will try
to attach them to upcoming bills on energy, faith-based
social services and the minimum wage. And he also claims
to have the votes to sanction drilling in Alaska's Arctic
National Wildlife Refuge.

With the administration coming up to its six-month anniversary
this week, Fineman also reports that the president's senior
adviser, Karl Rove convened a dinner last week with Republican
polltakers from inside and outside the Beltway to discuss Bush's
standings in the polls, following a dip in his popularity according
to a New York Times poll. The event, at a private room at Sam &
Harry's steakhouse in Washington, was as much a support group
as a scientific inquiry, participants tell Newsweek. Rove,
who wanted to hear the latest on public opinion, also wanted
to make sure his GOP professional allies agreed with him that
the president was doing fine. Over thick steaks and fine wine,
they happily obliged. ``We had a lot of laughs at the expense
of the Times,'' said one participant.

(Read Newsweek news releases at
http://www.Newsweek.MSNBC.com. Click "Pressroom.")

SOURCE: Newsweek