Senator Blasts Stem Cell Report
By Kristen Philipkoski
11:55 a.m.  July 18, 2001 PDT

A Senate subcommittee chairman harshly criticized a National
Institutes of Health report Wednesday for avoiding the question
of whether researchers need more stem cells to advance research.

Senator Arlen Specter (R-Pennsylvania) called the report a
"quasi-political" document, and said he was "disappointed"
that it did not address more serious scientific questions.

The report is a summary of the state of stem cell research in the U.S.
but did not address the scientific need for more stem cells.

Dr. Lana Skirboll, associate director of science policy for the NIH
skirted Specter's question by saying the NIH does not have
a position on whether stem cells should be derived using federal
funding.

The question was key during the Senate Appropriations
subcommittee meeting where legislators were weighing the pros
and cons of using taxpayer money to fund controversial embryonic
stem cell research.

The use of federal funds for stem cell research was banned
in the United States five years ago until early 2000 when the
Clinton administration drafted new guidelines.

The new guidelines stated that embryonic stem cell research
could be funded by taxpayers so long as no embryos were
destroyed using federal money.

In order to derive stem cells -- master cells that have the potential
to become any human tissue or organ -- the embryo must be
destroyed. Some researchers believe the cells could one day
replace damaged cells to treat diseases including Alzheimer's,
Parkinson's and diabetes.

Now, several stem cell "lines" exist and are available for research.
They have the ability to replicate indefinitely, but many researchers
say they need a more diverse population of cells.

"We didn't give you the funding to not do important scientific
things," he said. "Maybe we should take that funding back."

Skirboll said that in addition to the guideline issues, several patents
held by private research firms could pose intellectual property
barriers to the government producing embryonic stem cell lines.

Specter called the patent issue a red herring, saying the
government would step in if private firms were "out there
profiteering."

Skirboll also said NIH researchers were under a time crunch
to finish the report before Wednesday's meeting.

Dr. Mary Hendrix of the University of Iowa Medical School
and director of the Federation of American Societies for
Experimental Biology, said more stem cell lines were certainly
needed.

Plus, she said, it's important for stem cell researchers to derive
the cells themselves so they know where they came from and
understand their specific scientific properties, in order to work
with them effectively.

"If I didn't have the opportunity to derive (stem cells) in my own
lab or didn't know the source, I would have a problem conducting
an experiment and interpreting the results of the experiment,"
Hendrix said.

Senator Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), questioned the logic of the
Clinton guidelines.

"It's like saying don't tell me what bank you robbed, just give
me the money," Harkin said.

A bill written by Specter and Harkin would allow federal
researchers to derive their own stem cells.

Researchers from the Jones Institute for Reproduction in
Virginia, who some say crossed a moral boundary last week
by creating embryos specifically for research, defended their
practices at the meeting.

William Gibson, chairman of the Jones Institute, said the
researchers created the embryos in order to "focus on
populations that were not infertile and younger."

Dr. Susan Lanzendorf, an associate professor at the Jones
Institute, said she has received many phone calls from people
with family members suffering from diseases that could
potentially be cured by embryonic stem cell treatment,
offering to donate their sperm or eggs.

"The use of donated gametes was the path we chose,"
she said. "I personally feel the method is ethical if the
donors specifically consent to what they're being used for."

SOURCE: Wired News
http://www.wired.com/news/print/0,1294,45347,00.html

* * *