Friday July 20  8:16 AM ET
U.S. Cuts Off Medical Research Aid to Leading School
By Will Dunham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Faulting one of the world's top medical
research centers in the case of a healthy volunteer who died in an
asthma experiment, the U.S. government has suspended all federally
funded research on people at Johns Hopkins University School
of Medicine in Baltimore.

The Office for Human Research Protections (OHRP), part of the
Department of Health and Human Services (news - web sites)
(HHS), sharply criticized the prestigious university for failing to
outline possible risks to volunteers and neglecting promptly to report
that an earlier volunteer also became ill.

HHS officials notified the institution of the action in a letter written
after the June 2 death of Ellen Roche, 24, of Reisterstown, Maryland.

Roche died of lung damage and multiple organ failure after inhaling
the drug hexamethonium, which had been linked to cases of fatal lung
disease in the 1950s and 1960s and was no longer approved for human
use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (news - web sites).

In a statement on Thursday, the school condemned the funding
suspension as an ``unwarranted, unnecessary, paralyzing
and precipitous action.''

Johns Hopkins gets $301 million a year in grants from the National
Institutes of Health (news - web sites) (NIH), more than any other
medical school. The research that triggered the suspension was
funded by the NIH.

``UTTER DISREGARD OF PATIENTS' HEALTH''
``We strongly believe that this action was taken in utter disregard
of patients' health and potentially of life,'' the statement said.

``Even a temporary interruption in therapeutic clinical trials, such as
those involving cancer patients, could be devastating. In addition,
the OHRP letter forbids us from enrolling new, sick patients in these
trials.''

The HHS letter said the government was particularly concerned
that investigators involved in the study continued to provide the drug
despite the persistence of coughing and shortness of breath
in the first volunteer. Roche became ill within days of taking part
as the third subject in the study.

Government officials faulted the school for failing to tell volunteers
the drug was no longer FDA approved. OHRP also criticized the school
for allowing changes in the experiment that did not have the approval
of an independent review board.

OHRP said the Johns Hopkins investigators failed to obtain published
literature about the association between lung damage and hexamethonium
prior to receiving the go-ahead for the study from an institutional review
board. The letter said such information was ``readily available''
on the Internet.

A Johns Hopkins review committee on Monday released a report
saying the cause of Roche's death likely will remain uncertain,
but probably was due to exposure to inhaled hexamethonium.
The drug was first used 50 years ago to treat high blood pressure,
but the FDA in 1972 pulled it from the market because of its lack
of effectiveness.

The school has suspended studies with human subjects conducted
by Dr. Alkis Togias, who led the ill-fated research at the Johns Hopkins
Asthma and Allergy Center. Roche was an employee at the center
when she volunteered for the study.

Dr. Edward Miller, dean of the medical school, has said the school
``takes full responsibility for what did happen.''

``To the best of our knowledge, in our entire history, we have had
only one death of a healthy research volunteer out of tens of thousands
who have participated in such research,'' the school's statement said.

``We agree that this is one too many, and that is why we announced
earlier this week the steps we are taking to strengthen our processes.
In light of this, the OHRP's action seems to us to be an extreme
example of regulatory excess.''

(Lisa Richwine contributed to this story)

SOURCE: Yahoo Daily News / Reuters
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010720/sc/health_suspension_dc_2.html

* * *