Anne and list: Each time I (and anyone else in the study) go to Philadelphia
for an
appointment to see the study Drs., I am examined and the results recorded to
be checked against prior examinations. Some of the tests (for example those
which are timed), are subjective. Some, however, are objective and are
therefor subject to all kinds of bias, intentional or not. It is why there
are two Drs. examining and forming opinions independently. All the foregoing
is a roundabout way of getting to your question of discussions with other
study participants. The answer is no, because we are specifically asked not
to do so to avoid subjective bias. If you know I feel better then you might
think that you are as well and answer questions put by the Drs. accordingly.
might even be that I shouldn't have revealed my progress to the list public
at large since there are certainly study participants on the list. I did it
purposefully because I thought it would give more list members some food for
thought with regard to attempting to join the study.

Paul H. Lauer