Jacob: On the way to answering you I read Ed Grskovich's reply. At first
blush I thought he was suggesting tat GM1 Ganglioside was indeed an agonist.
But as I read further I realized that he was saying that Mirapex, which is an
agonist, may also have neuroprotective value.

In any event, GM1 Ganglioside is not an agonist. Quoting from the abstract of
Dr Schneider's (he is the study coordinator) paper, he says in small part "A
treatment aimed at rescuing damaged dopaminergic neurons or enhancing the
function of residual dopaminergic neurons would be a welcome addition to the
PD armamentarium. The monosialoganglioside GM1 may be useful in this regard.
GM1 Ganglioside is a complex acid glycosphingolipid that is an important
component of mammalian plasma and intracellular membranes" The extract goes
on to say much more, some of intelligible to me and some of it not. If you
send me either your fax# or your mailing address, I'll get a copy of the
paper to you either way.

Regards,

Paul H. Lauer
.