--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Ivan M Suzman <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:51:49 -0400
Subject: MJFoxFoundation has Michael Claeys, Maine homecare decision:
Janet Paterson

  Hello, friends....I'm finally back , after re-gaining 25 pounds
since my March 21st  abdominal surgery , and am still  improving.
I have been able to  balance on a step-ladder for painting, and
am amazed and grateful at my progress . I am active in my
yard and have a prize crop of black raspberries this year.

  Our friend from PAN, Michael Claeys ,is the Research
Policy coordinator at the MJFF in New York City.   He can be
reached at the 212 area code  phone number  for the MJFF,
which is in the AT&T long distance directory.

 Donations for the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's
Research are directed, I am fairly certain,  to the East Coast, at
a Times Square , New York, P O Box,  and not  to an old PAN address
from Santa Rosa, California.

  Secondly, I entered a Bible study support group six weeks ago
here in Portland. This is helping me to develop patience and
spiritual strength.  I need this, as I am now awaiting a decision
on my new appeal to retain at-home attendatnt services, which
the Bureau of Elder and Adult Services again wishes to cut to
5 hours from 13 hours per day. The last day of testimony was
June 28th.

The resulting, immense, 600 page transcript has recorded my appeal.
I have had the opportunity to present my neurologist, several friends,
and several personal care attendants as witnesses, as well as myself.
We have defined dyskinesia, on-periods, off=periods, freezing
episodes, discussed the medications,  the night-time care,
the differences between the impact of being a PWP with a
later-life onset history, as opposed to a much earlier onset Parkinson's
,
and many issues that arise when a person who is active in the community
is being
assessed against a baseline of sedentary, nursing-home patients.

Although a dour and  hostile attorney tried to break me on
cross-examination, she did NOT succeed.

My attorney , Helen Bailey of the  (federally-funded) DIsabiiity Rights
Center,
has done a superb job with closing arguments, and a decision is expected
by the middle of August from Kevin Concannon, the Maine Commissioner
of Human Services.

If I lose, I will have to go to court against the Maine authorities.  How
ironic
and sad when Maine could spend its  limited monies to enhance my
work for all PWP's, instead of wasting precious energy on attacking my
credibility.  Hopefully the light will prevail.

Letters to Commissioner Concannon may show that I am not alone and that
people are
watching for the outcome of my now nine-month long appeal.

I would respectfully request that Janet Paterson not post and re-post so
many articles. it clogs my disc space and makes it hard to receive
and enjoy the PIEN messages that I am searching for.

Sincerely,

Ivan Suzman
51-39-36
16th year patient since symptoms first seen
and still SMILING  :-) to all of you!