samantha pudge wrote:

> jim,
>
> embryos ARE little people.  just because there are not yet any discernable features does not mean they are not living humans.
>
> you will not change my mind any more than i will change yours.
>
> do not misunderstand.  i am not against stem cell research.  we walk a fine line diverting these embryos from the baby they were meant to be, to cells that may help heal many of our current physical problems.

those embryos could both survive and provide stem cells
see postings on preimplantation genetic diagnosis.

> current research requires many embryos to help one person.  to help all of us, would require deliberately creating thousands of embryos.  using ones already in existence that are no longer needed or wanted by the couple wishing to have a baby, is not enough. to me that is a very tough ethical question.  i worry about misuse.

No.
One cell from an early blastomere can be cultured in large quantities.
As a cytogenetic technician, I used to grow many large culture flasks
from one cell or from one of those little frozen vials
used to store cells in liquid nitrogen.

Growing quantity doesn't take long either since if subcultured
and incubated properly -- the cells grow exponentially --

1  2  4  16  256   25536  ...etc...

you get the idea?

bioreactors have been developed and are waiting to automate the process.

There may be some confusion with stem cells and
the initial fetal transplant experiments from 3 years  ago,
requiring mesencephalic tissue from several aborted fetuses.
The implants were a mixture of mature cells.
Stem cells were a subset of what was transplanted,
that is why young growing fetal tissue was preferred.

Stem cells can, hopefully, be manipulated into purer forms
of whatever cell type is needed and are more likely to
integrate with preexisting tissues.

> i wrestle with the question:  is the cure worth the risk?  i would definitely like my life back and be free of this nasty disease but at what cost?

I understand your concern
but, you are worried about some non-issues.

the "cure" won't come overnight--
but, animal studies show incredible promise.

> sami

                                 Ray Strand
                             Prairie Sky Design
 -----------------(   on  the Edge of the Prairie Abyss  )---------------