Dear Elaine,
Your friend's medications could be part of the problem, particularly if
part of his weight gain is fluid retention. With regard to protein, it's
only a concern if he is using Sinemet or other medication containing
levodopa. If he IS using levodopa, then he needs to take regular Sinemet
about 30 minutes before meals, so that the protein will not block his
Sinemet. If he is using Sinemet CR, he can take it with meals; however,
it will take longer to "kick-in."

It is very difficult to locate a dietitian who is experienced in PD. As
you live in Southern California, I would call:
John Amber
West Coast Assistant Director
The American Parkinson Disease Association, Inc.
10850 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 730
Los Angeles, CA 90024

Tel:  (800) 908-27321
Fax: (310) 474-0292
Email:  [log in to unmask]

or:
Linda Squire, LCSW
Coordinator
APDA Information and Referral Center
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
(310) 423-7933

I spoke at one of Linda's Patient-Family Workshops last year, and also
gave a seminar for dietitians there. It's possible that a dietitian has
contacted Linda or John about specializing in PD.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease" & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease," J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/