>    Subject: Re: Hello?
>    From: Ed Grskovich <[log in to unmask]>
>    Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:01:28 EDT

In a message dated 7/12/01 11:10:18 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<<  Amgen 474 >>

Dear Jacob,
    Hello and welcome back.  I don't have any first hand knowledge of Amgen
474 and I don''t have a copy of your original questions. However while you're
waiting for more direct answers, the following are a few excerpts from my
searches.  The trouble with trials are that they get a lot of fanfare at the
start and then are never heard of again. Also, Internet search results in the
medical area rarely contain dates and so it is difficult to weed out the
stale "news."

For what they're worth, here they are:
From:
http://www.amc.edu/Neurosciences/parkinsons_new_drug_studies.htm#AMG-474-00Â
New Drug Studies

AMG-474-00 (evaluate the safety of the investigational drug AMG-474-00 in
patients with Parkinson's disease)
minutes of delayed "on" time for at least one dose per day and must wait for
levodopa doses to kick in a total of 90 minutes per day  based on a 3 day
diary.  They must also have an average of at least 2.5 hours "off" time per
day.  Patients must be able to keep accurate diaries.
 Exclusion criteria: Patients are excluded if they are on Sinemet CR alone
or
if they receive tolcapone (Tasmar) as part of their treatment for Parkinson's
disease.  They should not have any history of a significant act of medical
ailment or significant psychiatric disease.

Parkinson's  Disease & Movement Disorder Center of Albany Medical Center

215 Washington Avenue Extension
Albany, New York 12203
(518)452-0914

Albany Medical Center
43 New Scotland Avenue
Albany, New York 12208

Copyright, 1999-2000, Albany Medical Center.  All Rights Reserved
****************************
Another Web page:
http://www.mnmed.org/publications/MnMed2001/May/Tuite.html

Growth Factors
One compound called glial cell-line derived neurotrophic factor (GDNF) was
found to be important for the survival and development of dopamine nerve
cells in the brain.8 Use of GDNF improved the function of animals with
parkinsonian features. However, a small pilot study of Parkinson’s patients
performed at the University of Minnesota and several other research centers
did not show a benefit from GDNF infusion in the brain’s cerebrospinal
fluid
ventricular system (research publication in press). As a result, this
research trial, funded by Amgen Pharmaceuticals, has been discontinued.
Meanwhile, Amgen is studying another growth factor (previously called
GPI-1046 and now known as AMG 474-00) in 300 patients at the University of
Minnesota and other sites. It is too early to know if this compound will be
safe, tolerable, and effective in Parkinson’s patients

Ed Grskovich