Sun Herald
In the end, our hearts and minds must agree

Add to the opinions about stem cell research expressed
on today's Opinion pages this one
from Gannett News' Deborah Mathis:

“I don't think the Creator gave us the curiosity, the patience
and the knowledge to figure these things out just for kicks.
I think the discovery of the stem cell's potential is a divine gift.
And I think we have to figure out some way to make this work
where prefunctional human lives won't become a borrow pit,
and full-fledged human lives won't have to keep staring death
and deterioration in the face.”

But can we - with all the curiosity, patience and knowledge
at our command - “figure out” how to properly use the
minutest beginning of human life to serve and save fully
developed human lives?

And if we can, should we? Is there a point beyond which
our science overreaches our souls?

There are times when the president or the Congress
or the courts must decide matters of life and death quickly.
For those whose lives might be improved and perhaps
lengthened by the results of stem cell research,
this certainly seems to be such a time.

But what is so clear in the minds of some puzzles the minds
of others. Just as what sits lightly on some hearts weighs
heavily on others.

Not every “divine gift” comes with divine guidance.

SOURCE: Sun Herald
http://web.sunherald.com/content/biloxi/2001/07/17/opinion/0717_editorial.htm

* * *