In a message dated 7/17/01 5:25:44 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< he was saying that Mirapex, which is an
agonist, may also have neuroprotective value. >>

Thanks, Paul, for saying it much more clearly than I did.  However, I might
have underscored "MAY."

See the following for a technical but short report on GM 1:

Antiganglioside GM1 Antibodies In Neurological Diseases
Lucia Crescibene, Loredana Bastone, Angelo Bagalà, Irene Dora Napoli, Tiziana
Ferraro, Manuela Caracciolo, Giuseppe Nicoletti
CNR-IMSEB, C.da Burga,Piano Lago, 87050 Mangone (CS)-Italy
Gangliosides are sialic acid-containing glycosphingolipids ubiquitously
present in the plasma membrane of vertebrate cells. Several studies have
suggested the involvement of gangliosides in various functional activities at
the cell surface, such as cell-cell and cell-surface recognition processes.
Recent reports suggest that the gangliosides play an important role in
protein trafficking and transmembrane signaling. Nervous tissue is enriched
with gangliosides, and in most species their synthesis and expression are
developmentally regulated. The monosialoganglioside GM1, in particular, has
been implicated in neuronal development and differentiation.
In the present work we examined the titre of anti-GM1 ganglioside in patients
with some neurological diseases like Alzheimer’s disease (AD), Parkinson’s
disease (PD), Multiple Sclerosis (MS) . We therefore compared serum Ig M
antimonoasialo -ganglioside GM1 levels of 26 AD patients (14 females ,12
males), 147 PD patients (82 males , 65 females), 124 MS patients (70
females,54 males) and 186 normal control subjects (111 males and 75 females).
Antiganglioside antibodies GM1 were measured using an enzyme immuno sorbent
assay (ELISA) technique, highly purified bovine GM1 ganglioside, and
sequential dilution of control sera. Antibody titre was calculated using
optical density readings of serum dilution.
We found significant levels of IgM anti GM1 gangliosides in 11/26 AD patients
(42.3%), 40/147 PD patients (27.2%) and in 56/124 MS patients (45.2%), while
we found high titre of IgM anti GM1 gangliosides in 5/186 (2.7%) (P

Source:
http://hgm2001.hgu.mrc.ac.uk/Abstracts/Publish/WorkshopsPoster/WorkshopPoster1

0/hgm0332.htm

GM 1 seems to get a lot of attention in stroke intervention. This is good
because it brings research money from more than one pocket.