Paul,
I was forced to quit by my employer because they were worried about their
insurance rates.  It took almost a year, but I won a discrimination suit
against them this Spring.
I had applied for lots of jobs.  I tried to sit on my hands, but they
noticed anyway.  No one hired me, so after 18 months I gave  up and applied
to our state department of vocational rehab.  They have helped me to set up
an at home universal building design business with a computer aided
drafting program.   They purchased an ergonomic chair, a nice microphone
for future voice activated programs and paid for half of my speedy new
computer.
I know, with a few adaptations (I can't write legibly either), I could have
continued with my original job.  I also believe I could have done the jobs
that I applied for.  It is very unfair to be treated this way.  I got mad
and I got even.  My hope is that my former employer will at least think
twice before trying the lousy tactics, with another disabled employee, that
they used to get me to quit.

I feel for you.  I don't know what you need to do in your situation, but
maybe my story will show you that, with some effort, there is life after
downsizing.
Sue
PS  I am 54 and receiving SSDI unless & until my fledgling business takes off.