Dear List Members,

This is a short follow-up to the letter that I wrote to the list about one
month ago after I came home following my second DBS Surgery.  The hospital
where I had it done only allows the surgery to be done on two separate
occasions.

Well anyway since the 6th of July when I went in for an adjustment on the
stimulators, I started cutting back on my medicine again.  There was not too
much more to cut because I had already worked down to a very small dose
daily. (compared to what I was taking before the surgery)  Well I don't know
any other way to say it but SINCE THE 8TH OF JULY I HAVE NOT TAKEN ANY
PARKINSON MEDICINE!!!!!!!!!  That is two weeks ago yesterday.  I finally
came to the conclusion that the little amount of sinemet that I was taking
wasn't doing much good.  And cutting out the medicine completely has enabled
me to eat protein again(I had cut back to practically no protein at all
before the surgery).  I really didn't realize how much I missed it and how
important it is for my body.  So now(you may wonder) what Parkinson symptoms
do I still have?.  Well I have one that I never had before(although I know
it is quite common, just not for me) and that is  an overproduction of
saliva.  Also my mouth quivers sometimes which it used to do about five
years ago.  I am stilll tired, but feeling better than I ever thought I
would again.

Believe me, my friends, I know that the above described symptoms are nothing
compared to what I  had before and what some of you suffer with everyday.
In a way I feel  bad writing this because I know that there are a lot of
people out there who could probably  benefit from this surgery, but because
of finances and many other reasons, are unable to have it.  I am so sorry
for any of you that  are described in the previous sentence.

I won't have another adjustment for several weeks now, but I will let you
all know what things are like then.  I know I am very fortunate and blessed
to have been able to have the surgeries.

Sincerely,

Diane Leeds