Dear list members,
We hear about many problems that PWP often experience in nursing homes
and hospitals, but few solutions.  About a week ago, Marge Moylan posted
an article she wrote about how  The Central NY Parkinson's Support Group
tackled this problem in their community, but unfortunately it was right
in the middle
of the list's virus attack, and i suspect was missed by many.
 I'm reposting Marge's article, with her permission for those who missed
it.
 It is a great story about a  great group of people.
Are there any other PD organizations that are addressing care issues,
like this one or in different ways? It would be helpful to hear about
what
is going on in other places.

Marge is the newsletter editor of the Central NY Parkinson's Support
Group.
She wrote:
"Some time ago, Nancy McCaffrey, my co-editor, posted a question
on the PIEN, asking if anyone knew of a nursing home facility anywhere in
the county with a separate wing for patients with Parkinson's.  Her
search
didn't turn up anything like this, so we are assuming that we are one
of a kind and hopefully the first of many.  The Presbyterian Homes of
Central New York are located in New Hartford, NY, which is near Utica.  "

Marge's ARTICLE:
Parkinson Wing a Reality

By now many of you have heard about the great excitement for PWP
in our area. A special separate wing for patients who have Parkinson's
disease has opened at the Presbyterian Home in New Hartford.
 As far as we know this is a national first, a wing in a skilled nursing
facility set up especially to treat PD patients.

Those of you who don't have much experience with Parkinson's may
wonder why PWP need a special unit.  It's not that they are unfriendly.
 It's just that their care, to be of the best quality, needs to be
different from that
of  the general nursing home population.
Medication is one of the most important considerations.  Not only do we
not
fit into the nursing home's regimen, we are all different from one
another.
Each patient's meds are tailored to his own needs, but the one thing we
have
in common is we need our pills ON TIME.  Without them, we tend to become
frozen, unable to move.  There is no point in trying to make a PWP get up
and
exercise when he is off, in other words his medicine is not working.  It
is frustrating for the patient and could be dangerous.   He can't move
easily
and his balance is impaired. By waiting until he is on, meds working, he
will be able to enjoy his exercise, with less chance of getting hurt.
  There are dietary restrictions for some PWP in that they cannot have a
meal
heavy in protein before their medicine.  The protein will prevent the
medicine from getting to the brain where it is needed.  Then there is the

fact that PWPs frequently don't sleep well at night.  Putting them to bed
at
the usual early nursing home hour won't work
.
While a certain percentage of Parkinson's people suffer from dementia,
they
are in a minority.  Most are fully aware and able to take part in their
own
care.  Another reason for our joy over this project is the home has just
opened a brand new rehab facility, complete with pool, which is furnished

particularly with equipment to meet the needs of PD.  The really good
news is
that this will be open to outpatients with Parkinson's as well as
residents.
We of the Central NY Parkinson's Support Group are proud to have been
asked
to be a part of this.  Six of us have served on the steering committee:
Evelyn Petrie, Mary Wrege, Ed and Nancy McCaffrey, and Pat and Marge
Moylan.
Seymour Petrie, Evelyn's husband, Mary's father, spent the last years of
his
life at the Presbyterian Home and was to have been the first resident on
the
designated PD wing.   Unfortunately Seymour passed away last fall, but I
think he would be pleased at what we have accomplished.
The M & M Show (McCaffreys and Moylans) did a series of in-service
training
sessions on PD for the staff at the home.   The Parkinson wing accepted
its
first patient on June 11.  Since the good publicity on the new wing,
thanks
to WUTR, WKTV, and Bill Farrell at the Observer-Dispatch, the home has
been
kept very busy with calls from interested folks.

The enthusiasm of Tony Joseph, director of the Presbyterian Home, is
contagious and has certainly been the catalyst for this project.  It has
been
a pleasure working with him and the other members of his staff.

Nobody really wants to go into a nursing home, but if it becomes
inevitable
and you have PD,  the Presbyterian Home is the place I'd want to be.
                Marge Moylan