[log in to unmask] wrote:
> Here's kind of a crazy question but it's something I'm really curious about.
> To anyone's knowledge out there, has there been any type of research
> regarding dehydration in Parkinson's patients (and I'm not even sure if this
> is the right question to ask)?
> Here's what baffles me - my husband was in a pretty bad state and was unable
> to move for two days this past January and passed out or had a seizure (it's
> never been really clarified what happened) and upon his arrival at the
> hospital, he was given an IV and within a half hour, he was in better shape
> than I had seen him in in years.

Yes! Dehydration is VERY common among people with PD, and can lead to
confusion, behavior change, dizziness, falls, altered heartbeat, kidney
failure, urinary tract infection, and other concerns. One reason for
this is that as PD advances and it becomes more difficult to move, the
person fears a full bladder, concerned that s/he won't be able to get
up, move to the bathroom, and unfasten clothing in time.

I encourage folks to drink a large glass of water each time they take
medications -- that way, by the time the bladder fills up, the
medications will be more likely to have kicked in, and they will have
the mobility needed.
Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease" & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease," J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/