Wow, Ira   your absolutely right about that article.  I can relate all to
well to the contents that ER doctors have no background in PD and treat
symptoms in the dark wasting time and money for the patient and possibly
causing more harm than. good.My experience is just briefly related and just
scratches the surface of the lack of PD comprehension in the Hospital.
I went to the ER with an emergency situation. I fell off a horse that
spooked. I had broken ribs and a damaged spleen and bruises everywhere
because the ground was frozen hard.  My wife took me to RapidCity Regional
Hospital , a big and quote uptodate hospital for the midwest.  My wife
gathered up all my pills and stayed with me in the ER. I was on Eldeprlyl
and Sinemet.  These drugs have FATAL drug interactions. If I had been given
Demerol , I would have been quite dead.  It takes two weeks to get these
drugs, because Eldepryl is a MAO/B inhibitor, out of the system for elective
surgery to avoid becoming a vegetable from a simple surgery.  Because of
that , My wife and I had made ourselves  familiar with drugs that I couldnt
take that would harm me , like Nytol and more.   If it had not been for her
diligence I think I would have not have come home eventually. The first
thing they did inspite of protests from my wife they cold turkeyed me on all
of my pills. "We have doctors here to monitor him. He'll be alright now. Go
to the waiting room"  They tried to get my wife out of the way- not an easy
thing to do. She questioned every med and asked if it was compatible with
his drugs. At least once , they went back and got something else to give me
in the ER.   It was her first experience with the hospital since my PD had
become dibilitating. She wasnt budging and I was incoherent from the
accident and didnt know where I was at times.    It was a weekend naturally.
Finally she got a neurologist into the ER. It turned out he was from the
same office as my regular neurologist.  He at least scheduled my PD pills to
staart again as soon as I was stabailized    Finally four  hours after I got
into the ER they finally admitted me to a room now that I was stabalized.
My Stay was unbearaable. If a pill was every 6 hours I Got It . It didnt
matter whether I was sleeping or not.they gave the pills out on a 24 hour
clock not on a while your up type clock . It was not uncommon to get a
sinemet at midnigt while there. The stress , which is biggest enemy of PD ,
was unimaginable unless you have been there.  For 6 days I was in intensive
care , I was kept on a slanted bed at my insistancesince they wouldnt let me
sleep on my side to reduce choking and saliva problems.. They wouldnt let me
eat because of my injuries. they fed me sugar water IV until I looked like
the Pillsbury dough Boy and had gained 40 pounds since admitance.    Finally
,I was mercifully sent to a regular ward.  My wife was with me constantly
which is why I was home in 3 days not 5 weeks that they predicted.  The care
was so bad . They didnt roll me to prevent bedsores. or even help me with
personal needs when my wife was gone. The staff was content to just leave me
in bed all day instead of getting  me up and walking again since my legs
were uninjured in the accident. When she was there, she checked me over all
of the time and made sure I wasnt off schedule since that is so important
for the PD patient. My wife was the only person, while I was at the hospital
that would take me for walks around the nurse's station to get my strength
back.  With all of the Tylenol 3 they fed me and lack of exercise, my
personal needs were getting very backed up to no ones concern but mine.
Very painful too  It has been a year and half now and I still suffer from
the edema caused by all of the IV fluids they felt were in my best interest.
Since I was the patient , I was not given a choice at all in my care while
there.   Would I go again ,  Maybe not.  Given a Choice , the ER is not for
me anymore.    In summary , Call your neurologist before you go if you can .
The ER is not always your friend particularly when it doesnt know PD.  Rob
(56/52/36)