The following originally appeared in the San Diego Union-Tribune on July
25th, and was reprinted in today's Buffalo News. It is an op/ed article
by a leading cancer researcher, and I think is a good summary of  the
reasons that ALL stem cell research should be funded, considering
scientific, ethical and political issues. The headline that appeared in
the Buffalo News was " Stem Cell Research - the View from the Patient's
Bedside."
Linda

FROM:
The San Diego Union-Tribune
July 25, 2001, Wednesday
SECTION: OPINION;Pg. B-7

HEADLINE: The case for stem cell research

BYLINE: Stephen J. Forman; Forman is chair of the Division of
Hematology/Bone
Marrow Transplantation and director of the Hematologic Neoplasia Program
at the
City of Hope Cancer Center in Los Angeles.

" As a physician and advocate for people suffering from cancer, patients
often
ask me how close we are to curing their diseases.  I reply that we are
making
significant progress, but we must fully understand the human body at its
most
fundamental levels -- molecular and cellular -- to one day eradicate
cancer and
other debilitating diseases.  That is why the federal government must
fund
promising research, especially investigations using embryonic stem cells.

   The past 25 years of my professional life have been dedicated to the
practice
of cancer medicine, including bone marrow transplantation.  Each year my
colleagues and I attend a reunion of transplant survivors whose numbers
are
growing due in large part to discoveries made about stem cells derived
from bone
marrow, which can develop into all of the cells of our blood and immune
system.

   Laboratory research performed with stem cells has found them to be
remarkably
flexible, because under the correct conditions, they can be coaxed into
becoming
a variety of different cell types.  This has tremendous therapeutic
implications
not only for cancer patients but also for the millions suffering from
diabetes;
neurological disorders including stroke, Alzheimer's and Parkinson's
disease;
and heart disease.  Embryonic stem cells are thought to be more
productive, that
is, they have a longer life span and a greater ability to reproduce and
develop
into cells of other tissues than adult stem cells.

   I agree wholeheartedly that careful, peer-reviewed research with adult
stem
cells should continue.  Several questions remain: Can adult stem cells
provide
therapeutic actions superior to those garnered from embryonic stem cells?
 Can
they be prodded to develop into all of the 220 different types of tissue
in the
human body?

   Hypotheses abound, but no one knows for sure -- which is precisely why
we
must undertake rigorous scientific investigations of every variety of
stem cell.
These investigations must take place under the microscope of guidelines
that
cover federally funded research.  Furthermore, the research must be
conducted in
the "daylight" which government funding provides, where the findings will
be
accessible to all instead of restricted to a few proprietary interests.

   All of us, physicians, scientists and most especially patients,
appreciate
the president's commitment to increase funding for the National
Institutes of
Health.  My hope is that our elected officials will allow our work on
stem cells
to continue to evolve.  Scientific pursuits must be exempt from the
vagaries of
politics and special interests.  It is time to look to the interests of
the
country and its people as a whole, and allow the scientific community to
develop
tomorrow's cures and treatments.

   Patients suffering from debilitating diseases should not have to fear
that
ongoing research that may one day cure them will be discontinued.
Investigators
conducting long-term studies should not have to fear that changes in
national
leadership would abruptly halt their work.

   As a practicing hematologist/oncologist, I look forward to the day
when we
will be able to turn stem cells into specific tissues to replace those
lost or
damaged by cancer.  The potential of embryonic stem cell research for
cancer and
almost every debilitating disease should not be underestimated.  All of
the
life-saving research that we have done has been the product of careful
investigations, sometimes with controversy and spirited public
discussion, but
always focused on the needs of humans suffering from life-altering
disorders.

   When battling life-threatening diseases, one of the final questions
that
people ask physicians is if they have done all they can to save their
lives or
the lives of their loved ones.  If that question is asked of President
Bush, how
will he respond?

   On behalf of our patients and their families I ask Bush to respect the
scientific counsel he has sought and allow research on embryonic stem
cells to
proceed with the support of the federal government."

 " Forman is chair of the Division of Hematology/Bone Marrow
Transplantation and
director of the Hematologic Neoplasia Program at the City of Hope Cancer
Center
in Los Angeles.  He can be reached via e-mail at [log in to unmask] "