Basic research is also funded by corporations in University research
laboratories....the dollar return is many many years (and possibly never) on
many basic research projects.  The point of research is often to disprove a
theory...finding out how and why "it" works is very seldom (if ever!!!!!) a
straight line forward.

My husband has both corporate and NSF funding for his research programs at
University of Nebraska-Lincoln.   He has worked for both private industry and
academia and he has maintained both private and government sponsored
research funding for more than 35 years.  If we had to depend on either
private or public research money alone...we would suffer still longer.

Keep in mind, because one is employed by a major pharmaceutical company, they
are not granted freedom from disease/disability in their own families.  Many
researchers have both personal and professionall reasons for wanting to see
and produce results.  Those who govern the purse strings and supply lines
also are mere mortals....complete with personal/familly health issues.

We have benefitted from many advances in pharmaceuticals during the past
century, 50 years, 10 years whatever scale one wants to use.  It is difficult
for any of us to compare 1970 to 2000....when  we are in the middle of the
crisis we forget we were ever feeling stressed before.

Rita Weeks  57/11