Jacob:
I think your $ motivation theory needs a little more analysis. Let's assume
the theory is correct. at the moment, some number of drug companies, I don't
know how many, are capitalizing on us PDers by supplying drugs which do
nothing but ameliorate our
symptoms. One supplies Sinemet, another Requip, (perhaps) another Permax,
another Mirapex, another Tasmar, another Comtan (I have little conception of
who makes which so I concede that some may be made by the same company, but
logic dictates that there are multiple companies involved). Each company has
its share of the PD misery pie, luxuriating in the fact that it will go on
forever and corporate profits on PD drugs will go on forever. Never mind that
the Sinemet maker lost a portion of his market to the agonists, one by one,
which in turn lost share to the succeeding Agonist and that first Tasmar and
then Comtan ate into all the preceding shares and that inexorably, new things
come along to replace the old or worse yet from the companies' point of view,
the life of its patent runs out and the copycats flood in to further dilute
the market. Forget all the foregoing and imagine the first company to find a
cure and its capture of the market.  IT WILL CAPTURE THE ENTIRE MARKET FOR AS
LONG AS IT IS PRIME. Think about it. One company selling to all of us. Which
company in its corporate right mind doesn't want to be that company? Which
company wouldn't give up an eye tooth or the corporate equivalent to be the
first in that position? For these reasons at least, I believe that
corporations which are not unabashedly eleemosynary institutions would rush
to be the first to discover a cure and any of them with the muscle in their R&
D budgets to do so, are trying like crazy.

Paul H. Lauer