From: CASLL/Inkshed [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Elizabeth Sargent
Sent: Sunday, August 05, 2001 7:42 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: An M.A. or M. Sc. in PUblishing and Editing?

Dear Inkshed folks,

A colleague at U of A recently received the following request from a
student she had had several years ago in a first-year English class--she
sent it on to me asking for some ideas.  I can think quickly of a few
programs in the states, but don't know enough to answer this question about
a Canadian M. Sc. or M.A. in Publishing and Editing for someone with an
undergraduate degree in engineering.  Can anyone give me a few quick
suggestions?  Many thanks--
Betsy Sargent
**************
Here's an excerpt from the student's e-mail:
I am in the materials engineering co-op program.  While I like this
program, I am finding that I don't think that engineering can fulfill me in
a job when I am finished school.

I have always enjoyed English and really liked the class that I took with
you.  It is possible for me to finish my engineering degree next summer of
2002.  Therefore, I am thinking of applying for a master's program in the
area of editing and publishing for 2002-2003.  I thought that this was an
area where I could combine my engineering background, English, and some
business that I am interested in.

I was wondering if you could give me any information on good universities
and colleges to obtain an M. Sc. or M.A. in Publishing and Editing at.  I
have been doing my research, but it is hard to tell which schools have good
programs.
M. Elizabeth (Betsy) Sargent
Writing Coordinator
English Department