Dear CASLL members

I need some help with references for the thesis I am planning to write.
This is my abstract

------------
In the current sociocultural approach to writing, learning to write is seen
as an ability to learn the norm of the community to which the student seek
admission.  However, how the teacher can efficiently make the student
"enculturated" (Johns, 1997) is open to discussion (Knoblauch and Brannon,
1984; Bizzel, 1992;  Freedman, 1994; Dias, Freedman, Medway, Paré, 1999).

In this research, I am interested in answering the following questions:
- When evaluating a student's essay, do professors look for the same
features that are valued in professional writing?
- Can teachers explicate these features so that the students can accurately
evaluate their own essays? (One study shows a positive evidence.  See
Sengupta, 1999)
- Does an identity as a professional (rather than just a student) help the
students apply their explicit knowledge to their writing? (suggested in
Johns, 1997)

I plan to answer the above questions through questionnaires, interviews, and
analyses of papers.
-------------

I am looking for references in following areas
- Research methodology
- Teacher's evaluation criteria
- Student's ability to evaluate essays (critical reading)
- Identity as a writer (rather than a non-writer)

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

--
Tosh
Linguistics, 4th Year Honors

e-mail:    [log in to unmask]
homepage:  http://www.freespeech.org/lastman/index.html

"The world seems logical to us because we have already made it logical."

              - Friedrich Nietzsche, "The Will to Power"