Hans and Ivan,,

I  agree with Hans concerning amantadine.  It is my understanding that its
antiviral (against group A Influenza only)is an independent function
separate from its anti-parkinsonion function. This is a logical trap that a
lot of people get into when developing theories and you have done a service
to the group,  Hans, by pointing it out.  -Good try Ivan  but don't buy
your tickets to Sweden yet- (although If you were correct I would buy you
the tickets  for you and eat a large crow ). That does not in any way
eliminate the viral hypothesis of PD development

Regarding amantadine one of the physicians at Rush Presbyterian is doing a
small study to see if he can discover how amantatine works which is  not
currently  fully known.  Nonetheless the feeling  in the medical community
is that it is coincidence that the two different conditions are helped with
the same drug.
  I am a subject in his study.

(BTW he is from the Netherlands.  His name is Leo Verhagan  and he went to
med school with Chris van der Linden.)

At 02:51 AM 8/3/01 +0200, you wrote:
> >> Symmetrel, is known to stop or to reduce PD symptoms. Yet, Amantadine is
>an ANTI-VIRAL drug. <<
>
>Amantadine is ALSO an anti-viral drug.
>
> >> Does this mean that we all have a VIRUS in our central nervous systems
>that, once lodged there
>for years, causes tremor, slowness of movement, and lowered dopamine
>transmission from cell to cell? <<
>
>If your reasoning was correct, then for example this would mean the
>following for cabergoline:
>Cabergoline is a dopamine agonist, which is licensed for use as a treatment
>for Parkinson's disease in conjunction with levodopa, in people with more
>advanced Parkinson's disease, affected by "on-off" mobility problems with
>daily fluctuations in motor performance.
>But also cabergoline is indicated for the treatment of dysfunctions
>associated with hyperprolactinaemia, including amenorrhoea, oligomenorrhoea,
>anovulation and galactorrhoea.
>Wouldn't this then mean that PD is caused by dysfunctional female hormones
>(in male as well as female PWP)??
>
> >> Human Dopamine-deficiency Virus ("HDV") out there? Is this the PD-causing
>virus that the Parkinson's patients in the famous movie, "Awakenings" , all
>had caught--the post-world War I infulenza virus? <<
>
>NO. The mistake you make is that you think life is mathematical. If A + B =
>C, then C - A = B. But the human body and nature as a whole doesn't work
>like that. If I hit you on the head with a sledgehammer, you will get a
>headache. But not everybody that gets a headache MUST have been hit by me
>with a sledgehammer. So when the spanish flu caused ParkinsonISM after WW I,
>you cannot conclude PD MUST be caused by a virus.
>
>Hans.

Charles T. Meyer, M.D.
Middleton, WI
PD DX  12 years (at age 44)