Rweeks asks:

"Now, should we write to FDA mandating complete disclosure of all
these

ingredients on every product with this flavor "(artificial
strawberry0

The Food and Drug Administration maintains a list of some 2000 ingredients
that are

designated Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS) The chemicals that was
listed for

artificial strawberry flavoring are GRAS substances and thus do not have to
be listed

individually on food labels.

For quite a few years the FDA has been reviewing the substances in the GRAS
list

to ensure that they are indeed safe or if they need to be removed from
approval status..

More recently this procedure has been expanded into a food additive
database that

 includes FDA approved additives and GRAS ingredients.

This database has been given the designation of  EAFUS which stands
for

(Everything Added to Food in the United States)

To access this information use this URL:
http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/%7Edms/eafus.html

To keep things in perspective, all ingredients that make up what we call
food are chemical

in nature. Sugar ( sucrose), for example, is an organic chemical but
it's name is not as

formidable to our ear as amyl acetate or amyl butyrate et al.

We are right to be concerned about the safety of so many of these
ingredients that have

been assumed to be safe for many years. As medical information expands some
of these

substances have been removed from the GRAS or EAFUS lists. It is a
formidable task to

review the entire GRAS list and staff and resources are too limited to
cover them all at a

speed we all should wish for.

--- Martha Rohrer