Date:         Tue, 31 Jul 2001 11:48:12 -0400
Sender: SSA Electronic News <[log in to unmask]>
From: "^ENews" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:      eNews: Social Security eNews 080101
To: [log in to unmask]

Social Security eNews

Published on August 1, 2001

Issue 20

To view this online, go to http://www.ssa.gov/enews/last.htm

Ahh, summertime.  The warm sunshine, the gentle breeze.  Relaxing in a
hammock with a tall glass of lemonade ... and the latest issue of eNews on
your laptop.  This month, we alert you to the dangers of misleading ads,
share an inside look on medical decisions, invite you to visit our new
immigration page, and offer you another way to pay your debt to the IRS.  So
sit back, relax, and enjoy a cool issue of eNews.

A quick glance at this month's eNews:

-- HOW DISABILITY DECISIONS ARE MADE
-- ADVERTISEMENTS MISLEAD SENIOR CITIZENS
-- EASY WAY TO PAY OFF DEBT
-- NEW IMMIGRATION PAGE LAUNCHED
-- FIND SOCIAL SECURITY INFORMATION FAST
-- NEW WOMEN'S PAGE IN SPANISH
-- NO CAKE AND CANDLES, JUST LOTS OF BENEFITS

HOW DISABILITY DECISIONS ARE MADE

To allow or disallow -- that is the question.  How do we decide who is
disabled for Social Security purposes and who is not?  We don't just make a
list and check it twice.  It's a complex process, but the answers can be
found in the "Blue Book."  The "Blue Book" provides disability definitions
and medical criteria for evaluating Social Security disability claims.  A
lot of factors go into making a medical decision, and we invite you to check
out all the guidelines here.
http://www.ssa.gov/disability/professionals/bluebook/

ADVERTISEMENTS MISLEAD SENIOR CITIZENS

Beware of costly hoaxes. It's sad, but true -- elderly people, especially
those with barely enough money to live on, often fall victim to cruel hoaxes
that rob them of their identity and their money.  They're promised increased
federal benefits or a refund in exchange for private information such as
their date of birth and Social Security number. The information is then used
to fraudulently open credit card accounts. Recently, more than 25,000 people
responded to a flier posted in senior citizen centers, churches and nursing
homes.  The flier said that because of the "Slave Reparations Act," the
government was refunding money to anyone born before 1928.  No such law
exists.  If you see a similar flier, letter, or advertisement asking for
your Social Security number or other personal information, be careful.  For
more details, see http://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/TREAfact.htm

EASY WAY TO PAY OFF DEBT

There's a new way to pay off your debt to the IRS.  Many Social Security
beneficiaries are choosing to have money withheld from their benefit checks
to satisfy federal income tax liabilities. After all, sometimes the easiest
way to pay off a debt is to never get the money to begin with.  If you owe
money to the IRS, you can select to have a percentage of your check taken
out to pay off your debt.  Link to the form, print it, complete it, and
deliver it to your Social Security office.  Then you don't have to worry
about writing that check to the IRS!
http://www.ssa.gov/online/forms.html#Agencies

HELP FOR IMMIGRANTS

Whether you're a student or a teacher, a farm worker or an office worker, a
refugee or a temporary resident -- whatever your situation, if you're an
immigrant, you'll want to visit our new Immigration Page.  The new website
makes it easy for immigrants to do business with us even if English isn't
easy for you.  We have interpreters to help you.  You can use our Fax
Catalog to order information in other languages right over the phone.  Check
out the Multi-Language Gateway, a website with Social Security information
in 14 languages other than English.  We're here to help you -- and if we
can't help, we'll refer you to someone who can.
http://www.ssa.gov/immigration/

FIND SOCIAL SECURITY INFORMATION FAST

Our website, www.ssa.gov ,  is a virtual gold mine of information.  But have
you ever had trouble finding exactly what you need?  Not any more!  We've
enhanced our search engine to make it even easier to find the information
you want fast.  Before starting your search, be sure to use the box on the
right to select a category -- it will increase your chances of getting the
information you're looking for.  Remember to use "quotations."  Why not take
a look now?  http://www.ssa.gov/search/index.htm

NEW WOMEN'S PAGE IN SPANISH

Ladies, we know you appreciate the "Social Security for Women" site.  And we
know that many customers are thrilled with the information and services we
provide in Spanish.  Now, these features unite as we unveil Social
Security's Women's Page in Spanish.  If you're looking for information on
how to change your name on your Social Security card after marriage, how to
get a number for your baby-to-be, or how Social Security affects you, now
you can get it all in Spanish!  Por favor visitenos!
http://www.ssa.gov/espanol/mujeres/

NO CAKE AND CANDLES, JUST LOTS OF BENEFITS

There won't be a cake and candles to mark Social Security's 66th anniversary
on August 14, but more than 45 million people will enjoy the benefits they
receive every month.  When President Franklin D. Roosevelt signed the law
establishing Social Security in 1935, he launched the most successful
domestic program this country has ever known.  The United States was in the
middle of the Great Depression -- elderly, disabled, widows, and orphans
were hit the hardest.   Social Security brought a breath of hope that
continues to grow and flourish.  And through the years, every President has
supported Social Security. The program has changed to make it stronger and
to meet the public's needs.  Most recently, President George W. Bush
appointed a commission to study the need for further changes.  To learn more
about Social Security's history, link to our history page!
http://www.ssa.gov/history/

Please do not reply to this announce-only, electronic newsletter.  If you need
to contact Social Security go to http://www.ssa.gov/reach.htm

To view prior issues go to http://www.ssa.gov/enews/prior.htm

If you found this newsletter helpful, please forward this issue of eNews to two
or three of your friends.  Thanks!

If you received this newsletter from a friend, you may also subscribe.  Each
month you will receive a free newsletter packed with important news from Social
Security.  You may also sign up for timely updates on disability, retirement,
survivors, Supplemental Security Income, Medicare, laws and regulations, press
office news releases, wage reporting, seniors, and data studies and research.
Go to http://www.ssa.gov/enews/ and subscribe now!

If you are already subscribed you may modify your subscription by visiting
http://www.ssa.gov/enews/

You may unsubscribe at any time by sending an email to:  [log in to unmask]

In the body of the message enter:  SIGNOFF SSA_ENEWS