Dear Friends,

This is my third letter in an ongoing report of DBS Surgery that I had done
the first time in April and the second one in June.  I don't want to repeat
what I already said, so I hope if there are any questions that I don't
answer for you here, that you will write to me off list and I will try to
get back to you as soon as possible.

I went to UCLA (University of California at Los Angeles) which is a big
teaching hospital in this area yesterday  to have another adjustment done on
the stimulators.  Before I went yesterday(as I reported in my last letter to
you) I was having a problem with quivering in my mouth and I guess a
consequence of that was an overproduction of saliva (which I know is gross
to talk about) but I guess the people who are reading this really want to
know how it is, so...........!!!

Anyway when I told the doctor my symptoms before the adjustment he said that
there really isn't anything he could do about the saliva, but he did feel
that he could do something about the quivering in my mouth.  Well after the
adjustment, the quivering stopped and so did about 75% of the saliva
production.  YES!!!!!  I guess that because my mouth had been moving so much
it created the overproduction of saliva.  Whatever the reason or
explanation, I don't care except that it is a lot better today than
yesterday before the adjustment.

So now the only thing that is still a layover from the surgery (or really
from the Parkinsons) is the fact that I still can't walk.  Please when you
read that don't think that my surgery was a failure because I still can't
walk.  I DON'T CARE IF I EVER WALK AGAIN.  I feel 100% better than I did
before the surgery.  You all know (or if you don't, you eventually will
unfortunately)  all of the symptoms and side effects that come with the
Parkinsons.  I think I had them all at one time or the other or most of the
time.  Again (and this is a repeat from my earlier lettter, but I think it
is important)  there are many reasons that contribute to my inabiility to
walk.  I have injuries from a car accident of 35 years ago that have become
more painful and delibilitating the older I have gotten (I'm 53 now) and
also as the Parkinsons has progressed.  As the doctor tried to explain to me
yesterday, and when I say tried he did a great job, but unfortunately it was
a little (read a lot) complicated for me.  He said that this surgery does
not add anything, but rather takes away some of your natural (whatever)
abilities.  From what I understand (and again, I am sure that there are some
of you, my friends, out there who could really explain it so we could all
understand) the areas where the implants are placed in the brain are the
very areas that help with automatic functions.  He said that most people
don't think about walking, but that it is just an automatic thing.  Well for
the last couple of years that I did walk (which was a couple of years ago)
I had to think of  putting one foot in front of the other.  It was really a
difficult task for me.  The doctor said that I shouldn't give up on trying
to walk again, but he did understand why I can't seem to put one foot in
front of the other now no matter how hard I try.

Well this has turned out to be a longer letter than I had thought it would
be.  And about this time if you have read this far some of you are probably
thinking OKAY  already enough, but please let me say one more thing.  I did
say this in my last letter too, but I must repeat it.  I am so sorry for any
one of you who would like to have the surgery, but for financial reasons or
other reasons (and there are many) you can't have the surgery.  I feel real
bad to be so excited about my results, when I know that there are so many of
you out there who suffer with this horrible condition, and again are unable
to consider the surgery at this time.

I am still so thankful and feel very blessed to have had this surgery.

Best Wishes to you all,

Diane Leeds