My husband, Les developed a dry cough that lasted about six weeks and then went
away, but then came back.  After trying everything, including gram stains,
xrays,
sucking on sugarless candies, salivart for dry mouth, he was given a swallowing
test, and found that he could not swallow correctly and perhaps some food or
saliva
was going into airways.  He is on a liquid diet now, eats very slowly, but
finally
is maintaining his weight after previously losing a pound a day.  However, he
has
many other complications from dementia and falling excessively, with head
injuries.  He is in a nursing home, not because of the cough, but they are the
ones who ordered the swallowing test, and have been wonderful to watch over
him and see that he eats enough.   Hope this will help a little.  I certainly
still don't
know much about this disease, even after 7 + years of caregiving.  Also, he
has been diagnosed with diffuse Lewy Body Disease.   Laura, caregiver for Les.