-
Letter

" Yes there is a choice as to where the stem cells come from
for research. It seems the better way to retrieve stem cells
is to save them from birth of babies. It seems that the
blood in umbilical cord, which is not throw away, is filled
with plenty of new stem cells and could easily be collected
at the hospitals, giving a new income at the hospitals and
plenty of new stem cells for research. However, adult stem
cells are considered better by some researchers and if any
cure is found, it is thought that in most cases, the
patients own stem cells would be used to avoid the problems
of rejection by the immune systems. I am not for in vitro
fertilization so I would say call 202-456-1414 and say no
funding  stem cell research with cells from embryo's or
abortion. "  Author:  Ione Plank, Livingston TX

This letter to the editor appeared this week in reply to my
letter two weeks ago. I will reply to it soon. Any facts
available to list members to help in response to the four
points listed below would be helpful. Basically I plan to
acknowledge the research on cord blood, adult, and own
produced cells as important but to refute any notion that
scientifically these cells are better. My understanding is
that for some people/groups they are morally preferred but
not scientifically preferred.

Second I recently saw an article, or a TV report that said
that ONE IN SIX pregnancies in the US is from in-vitro
fertilization. Does any body have access to that statistic
and its source? I was surprised by the magnitude of that
number.

1. umbilical cord blood easily collected
2. Adult stem cells are considered better
3. in most cases the patients own cells would be used  ....
to avoid the problems of rejection.
4. I am not for in vitro fertilization

thanks,

Bob Martone