Anne Rutherford wrote:
> The antibiotic destroys the bacteria that are making you sick, but it
> also does a
> number on the 'good' bacteria in your digestive system. Without the
> 'good' bacteria
> your digestive system is less effective,
>  your recovery takes longer and you are likely to get sick again.

Yes, that's 100% true -- although antibiotics may be necessary to fight
some kinds of bacterial infections, they also destroy all the "friendly
flora" throughout the rest of our systems.

> So you eat yogourt-------- but not the regular kind because it doesn't
> have the
> right bacteria.

Well, yogurt with active Lactobacillus Acidophilus cultures is needed.
In the U.S. we have a brand "Stonyfield" that is considered especially
good. But you just need to check the label to be sure the active culture
is present.

> To  put it bluntly "Am I talking through my hat?"
> Are there any studies by reputable scientists ? (not dairy farmers)

Yes, there is quite a lot of interest in, and research on, yogurt, for a
variety of health benefits:

Goldin BR. Health benefits of probiotics. Br J Nutr 1998
Oct;80(4):S203-7

Hatakka K, Savilahti E, Ponka A, Meurman JH, Poussa T, Nase
L, Saxelin M, Korpela R. Effect of long term consumption of probiotic
milk on infection in children attending day care centres: double
blind, randomised trial. BMJ 2001;322:1-5. Full text free online at
http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/322/7298/1327

Bernet MF, Brassart D, Neeser JR, Servin AL. Lactobacillus acidophilus
LA-1binds to cultured human intestinal cell lines and inhibits cell
attachment and cell invasion by enterovirulent bacteria.  Gut 1994;
35:483-489.
` Hilton HD, Isenberg P, et al. Ingestion of yogurt containing
Lactobacillus
acidophilus is prophylaxis for candidal vaginitis. Ann. Int. Medicine
1992;116: 353-357.
` Pedrosa MC, Golner BB, Goldin BR, et al. Survival of yogurt-containing
organisms and Lactobacillus gasseri (ADH) and their effect on bacterial
enzyme activity in the gastrointestinal tract of healthy and
hypochlorhyic
elderly subjects. Am J Clin Nutr 1995;61:353-359.
` Roberfroid MG, Bornet F, Bouley C, Cummings JH. Colonic microflora:
nutrition and health. Nutr Rev 1995;53:127-130.
` Schiffrin EJ, Rochat F, Link-Amster H, et al. Immunomodulation of
human
blood cells following the ingestion of lactic acid bacteria. J Dairy Sci
1995;78:491-497.
` Shalev E, Battino S, Weiner E, et al. Ingestion of yogurt containing
Lactobacillus acidophilus compared with pasteurized yogurt as
prophylaxis for
recurrent candidial vaginitis and bacterial vaginosis. Arch Fam Med
1996;5:593-596.

Best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD
Author: "Eat well, stay well with Parkinson's disease"
"Constipation and Parkinson's" --  audiocassette & guidebook
"Guidelines for Medical Nutrition Therapy for Parkinson's
disease" & Risk Assessment Tools
"Risk for malnutrition and bone fracture in Parkinson's
disease," J Nutr Elderly. V18:3;1999.
http://www.nutritionucanlivewith.com/