Anne wrote:
>sometimes we need an antibiotic...doctor finds an antibiotic compatible with all your other drugs...your friends tell you to eat Yogourt, the unsweetened natural kind...hard to find in supermarkets, the labelling is not clear and to most of us it tastes awful...
Why?...The antibiotic destroys the bacteria that are making you
sick...also does a number on the 'good' bacteria...your recovery takes
longer and you are likely to get sick again...so you eat yogourt...Are
there any studies by reputable scientists ? (not dairy farmers)
I welcome all points of view.

Anne,
        I've been taking acidophilus capsules for years...wouldn't be without
them and I found this in my files... jmr

'Good' gut bacteria may help prevent diseases
 By Keith Mulvihill

NEW YORK, September 1, 2000 (Reuters Health) - The 'good' bacteria that
line the intestinal tract may block the body's immune system from
causing inflammation in the gut, report researchers at Emory University
School of Medicine, in Atlanta, Georgia. This discovery raises hopes for
a treatment for the millions of people who suffer from the chronic
inflammation associated with diseases like irritable bowel syndrome.

Until now, the function of good bacteria in the stomach has not been
completely understood, despite the increasing popularity of 'probiotic'
foods like yogurt, which are laden with 'good' bacteria.

The Emory group conducted experiments in the laboratory to examine the
effects of different bacteria that normally reside in the gut. " We
found that a subset of non-illness causing bacteria actually blocked the
inflammatory response," said lead author Dr. Andrew Neish. Their
findings appear in the September 1st issue of Science.

"What we found most interesting is that these bacteria are able to
control the host's immune system," Neish told Reuters Health. "The
bacteria appear to turn down the immune response for their own
benefit--to stay in the intestinal tract without being attacked by the
body's immune system."

The results of this study may explain the health benefit that people
with inflammatory bowel disease may experience when they consume
probiotics, according to Neish.

"Our aim now is to confirm these findings in animal studies using other
bacteria, including the varieties found in probiotics, and see if they
have a similar effect," he said.

SOURCE: Science 2000; 289; 1560-1563.
  Copyright © 2000 Yahoo! Inc., and Reuters Limited.

Anne Rutherford
Newfoundland
--
Judith Richards, London, Ontario, Canada
                        EASE THE BURDEN