I have read many posts to this list over the years re: the pesticides and
agrachemicals and possible effects on people (and questions posted as to
whether or not these contaminants caused us to have PD) I was reading an
article in "Agbioview"   this morning re: the lobbying efforts for labeling
fof genetically modified foods. One of the discussion points was the lack of
public concern with food additives and their ingredients.  The following
description is perhaps enough to make one pause and wonder just what we do
eat........see below for what artificial strawberry flavor consists of:

"amyl acetate, amyl butyrate, amyl valerate, anethool, anisyl formate,
benzyl acetate, benzyl isobutyrate, benzyl acid, butyric acid,
cinnamyl isobutyrate, cinnamyl valerate, cognac essential oil,
diacetyl, dipropyl ketone, ethyl butyrate, ethyl cinnamate, ethyl
heptanoate, ethyl heptylate, ethyl lactate, ethyl
methylphenylglycidate, ethyl nitrate, ethyl propionate, ethyl
valerate, heliotropin, hydroxyphrenyl-2-butanone (10 percent solution
in alcohol), alpha-ionone, isobutyl anthranilate, isobutyl butyrate,
lemon essential oil, maltol, 4-methylacetophenone, methyl
anthranilate, methyl benzoate, methyl cinnamate, methyl heptine
carbonate, methyl naphthyl ketone, methyl salicylate, mint essential
oil, neroli essential oil, nerolin, neryl isobutyrate, orris butter,
phenethyl alcohol, rose, rum ether, -gamma undecalactone, vanillin,
and solvent."

Now, should we write to FDA mandating complete disclosure of all these
ingredients on every product with this flavor?  After all, we must
know what we are eating!  Consumers must be able to make an informed
choice, right?  Has any long-term safety studies have been done on
these food additives?  Surely these chemicals have been part of
our diet recently.  How can one be sure that twenty years of
Ben and Jerry's Ice cream diet with this flavor will not bring
unforeseen consequences to the humanity? "