If this is true, does it lend weight to the idea
>that there are things we ourselves can do—mind-body connections we can
>cultivate—that will have real and measurable positive effects? I would
like
>to think so.

Could well be. I have just read an article ( in french) to that effect.
This article was based on a paper published in the New England Journal of
Medecine vol.344, no21 by some danish researchers: A. Hrobjartson and
P.Gotzsche. If someone knows how to retrieve it
Maryse cg John 72,12