Almost good enough!  Since the bill allows invitro fertilization, it's not
too big a stretch to amend it to specifically allow redundent tissue from
that process to be used for stem cell research.  I find that infinitely
more life-enhancing than destroying the tissue.

                    Murray Charters
                    <Murray_Charters@TELU        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    S.NET>                       cc:
                    Sent by: Parkinson's         Subject:     NEWS: WISCONSIN: Bill would ban
                    Information Exchange         making embryos for research
                    Network
                    ORONTO.CA>

                    08/09/2001 04:08 AM
                    Please respond to
                    Parkinson's
                    Information Exchange
                    Network

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Bill would ban making embryos for research
Stem cell work should continue, Welch says
By BETH KORMANIK
of the Journal Sentinel staff
Last Updated: Aug. 8, 2001

Two legislators plan to introduce a bill that would ban the
creation and destruction of human embryos for research.

The measure would not bar stem cell research, said
Sen. Bob Welch (R-Redgranite), one of the proposed
bill's authors.

Welch said the Human Embryo Protection Act, which
he plans to announce   today with Rep. Steve Freese
(R-Dodgeville), would allow most stem cell research
and in vitro fertilization to continue.

But the measure would prohibit the creation and destruction
of human embryos for research. It would encompass human
cloning, which relies on embryonic stem cells.

"We think this is a middle ground," Welch said. "We're not
trying to ban stem cell research. That should continue,
and Wisconsin should be a leader in that research."

A scientist at the University of Wisconsin-Madison first
isolated embryonic stem cells in 1998, and UW-Madison
researchers continue to lead developments in the field.
Stem cells are primitive cells that could form any tissue
or organ.

Welch suggested researchers use alternatives to embryonic
stem cells, which he considers human life.

Alternatives include placental, umbilical, animal and synthetic
stem cells. Welch speculated that within 18 months researchers
would create new methods to experiment with stem cells
that would not involve human embryos, but "we need to
stick to our ethics" and ban their use as soon as possible.

UW-Madison Chancellor John D. Wiley issued a statement
Wednesday opposing the proposed bill, saying the university
is poised to lead the nation in embryonic stem cell research,
which could lead to cures for diseases such as diabetes
and Alzheimer's.

"We are currently in position to influence how this research
is conducted, consistent with the high ethical standards
we follow," Wiley said in the statement. "The university
opposes legislation that would restrict its ability to advance
medical knowledge through this research."

But Welch said most research can continue without inventing
and destroying human life.

"That is the appropriate place to draw the line. Everyone gets
hung up, saying we're trying to ban stem cell research.
That's not even close," Welch said.

"That's not what we're trying to do. This is revolutionary
medicine. We need to continue to lead the world in it," he said.

On the national level, President Bush is considering whether
to permit federal financing for research on embryonic
stem cells.

Former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy G. Thompson, now secretary
of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, favors
the research.

Appeared in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel on Aug. 9, 2001

SOURCE: The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
http://www.jsonline.com/news/state/aug01/welch09080801.asp

* * *

To sign-off Parkinsn send a message to: