The Boston Globe
Mainers have mixed reaction to stem cell research
By Associated Press, 8/11/2001 12:01

PORTLAND, Maine (AP)   Karen Bardo has suffered from
Parkinson's disease for five years. Even though she is still
able to work and even goes backpacking, she longs for a
cure.

So the 47-year-old Alna woman was cheering when President
Bush announced he will allow limited federal funding of stem
cell experiments that could lead to new treatments for her
illness.

''Any research that we can get is good,'' she said.

Like many Americans, Mainers are divided on the issue.
The dispute over the research centers around the use of
human embryos some people regard this as the taking
of human life.

Bush's decision ''truly was a compromise, and from the
Catholic Church's point of view and church doctrine
it isn't an issue you can compromise on ethically and
morally,'' said Marc Mutty, spokesman for the Roman
Catholic Diocese of Maine.

Others say such research is the first step to finding
a cure to many debilitating disease, such as diabetes,
Alzheimer's, and Parkinson's.

''We're talking about very, very early embryos, five-day
old embryos,'' said Julien Murphy, a professor of
philosophy at the University of Southern Maine.
''When I weigh suffering of a family member with
Parkinson's disease or Alzheimer's disease with the
status of a five-day-old embryo, that's a very early point
on the developmental line.''

Murphy also criticized Bush's decision as too limited.

Bush is ''so severely limiting stem cell research that it's
going to take a whole lot longer to see what promise it
really holds for curing these diseases,'' she said.

Harold Jones, president of the Maine Parkinson's Society,
called Bush's decision ''good enough for now,'' saying he
thought Bush was balanced.

''I thought he did a wonderful job,'' Jones said. ''I admit to
being Republican and all that, but I think this is one of the
defining points of his presidency. It affects so many people.''

SOURCE: The Boston Globe
http://www.boston.com/dailynews/223/region/Mainers_have_mixed_reaction_to:.shtml

* * *