Aug. 11 Radio Address By The President To The Nation
U.S.Newswire, 8/11/2001 09:52
To: National Desk
Contact: White House Press Office, 202-456-2580
WASHINGTON, Aug. 11 /U.S. Newswire/ -- The following
is today's radio address by President Bush to the nation:
Bush Ranch - Crawford, Texas

THE PRESIDENT: Good morning. This week I made a decision
on a complex and difficult issue, the federal role in embryonic
stem cell research. Based on preliminary work, scientists
believe these cells, which may have the ability to replace
diseased or defective human tissue, offer great promise.
They could help improve the lives of those who suffer from
many terrible diseases -- from juvenile diabetes to Alzheimer's,
from Parkinson's to spinal cord injuries.

While stem cells come from a variety of sources, most scientists,
at least today, believe that research on stem cells from human
embryos offers the most promise because these cells have the
potential to develop into all the tissues of the body.

This research offers great hope for treatments and possible
cures. Research on embryonic stem cells also raises profound
ethical questions because extracting the stem cell destroys
the embryo, and thus destroys the potential for life.

Some argue this small cluster of cells is not yet a human life
because it cannot develop on its own. Yet an ethicist argued
this is the same way you and I started our lives. One goes
with a heavy heart if we use these, he said, because we are
dealing with the seeds of the next generation.

At its core, this issue forces us to confront fundamental
questions about the beginnings of life and the ends of science.
It lies at a difficult moral intersection, juxtaposing the need to
protect life in all its phases with the prospect of saving and
improving life in all its stages. As the genius of science extends
the horizons of what we can do, we increasingly confront
complex problems about what we should do.

In recent weeks we learned that scientists have created
human embryos in test tubes solely to experiment on them.
This is deeply troubling, and a warning sign that should
prompt all of us to think through these issues very carefully.
We recoil at the idea of growing human beings for spare
body parts or creating life for our convenience. I strongly
oppose cloning. And while we must devote enormous
energy to conquering disease, it is equally important that
we pay attention to the moral concerns raised by the new
frontier of human embryo stem cell research. Even the most
noble ends do not justify any means.

Embryonic stem cell research offers both great promise
and great peril. So I have decided we must proceed with
great care. As a result of private research, more than 60
genetically diverse stem cell lines already exist. They were
created from embryos that have already been destroyed,
and they have the ability to regenerate themselves
indefinitely, creating ongoing opportunities for research.
I have concluded that we should allow federal funds to be
used for research on these existing stem cell lines where
the life and death decision has already been made.

Leading scientists tell me research on these 60 lines has
great promise that could lead to breakthrough therapies
and cures. This allows us to explore the promise and
potential of stem cell research without crossing a
fundamental moral line, by providing taxpayer funding
that would sanction or encourage further destruction
of human embryos that have at least the potential for life.

I also believe that great scientific progress can be made
through aggressive federal funding of research on umbilical
cord, placenta, adult and animal stem cells, which do not
involve the same moral dilemma. This year the government
will spend $250 million on this important research.

As we go forward, I hope we'll always be guided by both
intellect and heart, by both our capabilities and our
conscience. I have made this decision with great care,
and I pray it is the right one.

Thank you for listening.

END

SOURCE: The Boston Globe