In a message dated 8/9/2001 11:34:55 PM, [log in to unmask] writes:

<< It's not over until it's
over--and this entire area of stem cell research and funding for stem cell
research is far from over.  >>

Yes, it seems to me that what W has done is to buy himself more time while
avoiding a complete halt to Federal funding of embryonic stem cell research.
It is a great relief that he did not pull the plug entirely. However, we have
our work cut out for us, both in keeping informed (so much easier to do
thanks to Murray and others who post info) and making our voices heard
(easier to do thanks to those who post phone numbers of key people).  We must
keep the issue alive.

I see a speck of silver lining behind this cloud over stem cell research: The
conservative right no longer appears to be a monolith. The stem cell
controversy has exposed differences in their views. And moderate Republicans,
unable to depend on Democrats to do the heavy lifting while they stay in the
right's good graces, have had to stand up and be counted.

Kathleen