----- Original Message -----
From: Linda J Herman <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 4:43 AM
Subject: Statement by CAMR on Bush's decision

> 8/9/2001
> FROM:
> www.stemcellfunding.org
> Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR)
> Statement on President Bush's Decision On Federal Funding for
> Embryonic Stem Cell Research
>  By Lawrence A. Soler, Chairman, CAMR
>
> "To our knowledge, there are fewer than 10 published stem cell lines, and
> single biotech company has exclusive rights to them.

I keep hearing different numbers from everyone.  The University
of Wisconsin,  here in Madison, says they have control of 5 lines.
They have been distributing them for cost for awhile now.

So, I don't know how many lines there are, but they are not
controlled by a single biotech company.  The U W has several
patents in the area of embryonic stem cells.

Terry