I imagine many of us are trying to understand just how the President's
decision on funding limited stem cell research will affect the research
and the progress towards curing Parkinson's. A search of the Lexis/Nexis
News Database on Friday for articles on stem cell research retrieved over
500 -- just for that one day. I'm posting excerpts of  a few that provide
opinions from scientists on how the research might be affected - both
positively and negatively. Any opinions or reactions from the list?
Linda

Found on Lexis-Nexis : "A joint statement issued on behalf of a number of
Parkinson's organizations"
U.S. Newswire
August 10, 2001 Friday 7:18 PM
SECTION: National Desk
HEADLINE: Joint Statement on President Bush's Decision On Federal Funding
for
Embryonic Stem Cell Research
DATELINE: NEW YORK, Aug. 10

"The following was released today by the Parkinson's Disease Foundation:

   President Bush's decision to allow federal funding for research on
existing
stem cell lines is a welcome first step towards realizing the full
promise and
potential of embryonic stem cell research, which has the potential to
cure
Parkinson's disease. We are pleased that the President recognizes the
power stem
cells potentially hold in curing, healing, and preventing Parkinson's
disease as
well as other devastating diseases and conditions.  A major federal
investment
in embryonic stem cell research is essential to attract the best
scientific
minds to the field, protect the integrity of the findings, and set
ethical
standards for the research.

   We are concerned, however, that the limitations the President has
placed on
the federal funding means that the research will proceed a small step at
a time
when great strides are needed. The number, quality, diversity and
availability
of existing cell lines are all key questions that must be answered before
the
adequacy of the President's plan can be assessed. We hope the NIH moves
quickly
to provide this information to the scientific community. We also
encourage the
NIH to begin funding meritorious embryonic stem cell research
immediately.
Lives depend on this.

   Finally, the Parkinson's community hopes we will be a part of the
President's
Council on biomedical innovations and their ethical ramifications. We
have much
to contribute to the national discussion of this issue.

   On behalf of the following Parkinson's Organizations:

   Research Organizations
   Advocacy and Support Organizations
   Parkinson's Disease Foundation
   Parkinson Unity Walk
   National Parkinson Foundation
   Parkinson Alliance
   People Living with Parkinson's

CONTACT: Dr. Lewis P. Rowland, President of the Parkinson's Disease
Foundation,
212-305-8551"