These are two official statements from stem cell research and PD
organizations.  They have been posted, but thought some might have missed
them and it would useful to report.
I would add also a quote from one of the many articles on this issue,
with two additions....

"Congressional aides said that an important factor would be the
reaction in the next few weeks from groups [ AND PATIENTS] advocating
research on diseases like diabetes and Alzheimer's  [AND PARKINSON'S
 DISEASE] that stem cell research is intended to help. "

Any reactions?
Linda Herman

 8/9/2001
FROM:
www.stemcellfunding.org
Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research (CAMR)
Statement on President Bush’s Decision On Federal Funding for
Embryonic Stem Cell Research
 By Lawrence A. Soler, Chairman, CAMR

"We understand and appreciate how difficult this decision was for
President Bush. This is an enormously complex issue, both morally and
scientifically. The President approached this decision in a most
thoughtful manner by seeking the advice and counsel of many people and
organizations representing a wide array of perspectives.

“Embryonic stem cell research – utilizing excess embryos from fertility
clinics that may otherwise be discarded – could alleviate the suffering
of millions of people and their families across this country.

“We are pleased the President agrees with us about the importance of
embryonic stem cell research.

“We don’t need an unlimited number of lines, but we need to be able to
explore a wide variety in order to determine which are most effective and
safe. We believe the scientific community is best equipped to set the
appropriate number.

“To our knowledge, there are fewer than 10 published stem cell lines,
and a single biotech company has exclusive rights to them. If the
President is correct and there are 60 lines, and they are available
in an unrestricted way, that would be a great start. It will be critical
for leading scientists to thoroughly examine the cells to determine
that they are scientifically adequate. We would look forward eagerly to
participating in the President’s proposed oversight council.

“We want to work with President Bush to create a stem cell research
policy that serves the public interest—including the interests of the 100
million American patients who suffer from these diseases—and we think
that this will best be served by ensuring that scientists have a
sufficient
number of stem cell lines to use for research.

"The stakes are high, and the potential benefits could mean the
difference between life and death for the families we represent.”
--Coalition for the Advancement of Medical Research
 U.S. Newswire
August 10, 2001 Friday 7:18 PM
SECTION: National Desk
HEADLINE: Joint Statement on President Bush's Decision On Federal
Funding for Embryonic Stem Cell Research
The following was released today by the Parkinson's Disease Foundation:

   President Bush's decision to allow federal funding for research on
existing
stem cell lines is a welcome first step towards realizing the full
promise and
potential of embryonic stem cell research, which has the potential to
cure
Parkinson's disease. We are pleased that the President recognizes the
power stem cells potentially hold in curing, healing, and preventing
Parkinson's disease as well as other devastating diseases and conditions.
 A major
 federal investment in embryonic stem cell research is essential to
attract
 the best scientific minds to the field, protect the integrity of the
findings,
and set ethical standards for the research.

   We are concerned, however, that the limitations the President has
placed on the federal funding means that the research will proceed a
small
step at a time when great strides are needed. The number, quality,
diversity
and availability of existing cell lines are all key questions that must
be
answered before the adequacy of the President's plan can be assessed.
We hope the NIH moves quickly to provide this information to the
scientific community. We also encourage the NIH to begin funding
meritorious embryonic stem cell research immediately.  Lives depend on
this.

   Finally, the Parkinson's community hopes we will be a part of the
President's
Council on biomedical innovations and their ethical ramifications. We
have much
to contribute to the national discussion of this issue.

   On behalf of the following Parkinson's Organizations:
   Parkinson's Disease Foundation
   Parkinson Unity Walk
   National Parkinson Foundation
   Parkinson Alliance
   People Living with Parkinson's

CONTACT: Dr. Lewis P. Rowland, President of the Parkinson's Disease
Foundation,
212-305-8551

LOAD-DATE: August 10, 2001