Comments would be welcomed. The One in Six comment re IVF
can not be supported so it is not included. What follows I
beleive is technically accurate and reflects some of my
observations and some of those expressed in recent replys.
Thanks,
 Bob Martone
---------------------------
I feared the spread of misinformation in my letter to you
published on July 19. My fears materialized in the August 2,
Letter to the editor titled  A lot of misinformation.  It
was abundant.  Let me say there were points to be
acknowledged. They are, first that adult stem cell research
should be pursued. These cells are so different from
embryonic stem cells that it would be morally wrong to
abandon that work and second cell rejection remains a
concern in both types of research and must be vigorously
pursued.

 However to suggest that adult stem cells are better than
embryonic stem cells is simply untrue. There is no
scientific data to support that as a conclusion. If there
were there would be no need for the debate. In the recent
report issued by the National Institute of Health, the
following excerpts characterize adult stem cells this way.
Full report available at
http://www.nih.gov/news/stemcell/scireport.htm

" There is no evidence that an adult stem cell is
pluripotent ..."    This means it cannot yet be used for any
purpose other than what it already exists to do. This is
particularly true of the very successful but highly
restricted use of bone marrow cells.

" Adult stem cells are rare ... There are insufficient
numbers of adult stem cells ... they are difficult to
identify isolate and purify … they do not replicate in
culture"

There are no observed  "qualitative differences between stem
cells obtained from umbilical cord blood and those obtained
from bone marrow or peripheral blood. "
 Probably because the cells are the mother's cells and are
therefore actually adult cells.

"Human embryonic stem cells can be generated in abundant
quantities … in their undifferentiated state for many, many
generations."  This is where they have their maximum
potential. " ... millions of cells can be generated from one
embryonic stem cell ..."  This is not true of blood and bone
marrow. They fail to proliferate in the laboratory.  Without
a dependable supply of cells the needed research to
determine the cells potential cannot take place.

According to a recent CNN report more than 200,000 births
have taken place by using in vitro fertilization.  This has
given many couples much joy. Depriving them of that right to
life seems morally wrong.  Depriving those who are fallen to
disease of a chance to be cured seems equally wrong.

Please call the White House and share your views with the
President. The phone number is 212-456-1414.

Bob Martone
http://www.samlink.com/~bmartone