Saturday, August 11, 2001
Stem-cell decision gets mixed reviews here
Portland Press Herald Report

The issue of stem-cell research is a very personal one to
Karen Bardo, a 47-year-old Alna woman who has
Parkinson's disease.

So she was relieved when President Bush announced that
he would allow limited federal funding of stem-cell
experiments that could lead to new treatments — even a
cure — for her illness.

"Any research that we can get is good," she said. "We
never get it all, I think. At least we get something."

Bush's decision, announced Thursday, allows federal funding
to be used for research on existing stem-cell lines taken from
human embryos that have already been destroyed.

It's the most restrictive choice he could have made short
of a full ban.

Mainers who support stem-cell research viewed Bush's decision
on Friday as a first step toward expanding the scope of the
research later.

"It gave the president a way of making a step forward because
these (stem cells) are from embryos that have already been
destroyed, so you can't say that you're killing life," noted
Richard Gelwick, a bioethicist from Cundys Harbor.

What's still unknown, Gelwick said, is whether existing stem-cell
lines will provide enough research opportunities to make
significant progress fighting disease.

"At least it's a beginning on research that ought to be done,"
he said.

Others felt Bush unacceptably crossed a moral line.

"It truly was a compromise, and from the Catholic Church's
point of view — and church doctrine — it isn't an issue you
can compromise on ethically and morally," said Marc Mutty,
spokesman for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Maine.

The debate over stem-cell research is "the next logical racheting
up of the abortion debate," said Rushworth Kidder, president
of the Institute for Global Ethics in Camden, because the key
philosophical conundrum in both issues is the question
of when life begins.

What's different in the debate over stem-cell research, he said,
is that there are scientific researchers, pharmaceutical companies
and entrepreneurs who want to turn it into a business.

"There are huge amounts of money invested on one side of this,"
he said.

As a political compromise, Bush's decision to allow limited
research was "pretty astute," said Ron Morrison, director
of the Center for Bioethics at the University of New England.

But his moral argument, while generally well reasoned,
"goes wrong in some places," he said.

Morrison said Bush seems to imply in his speech, for example,
that the days-old embryos used in stem-cell research are
human life and thus should not ever be destroyed.

Morrison subscribes to the view that embryos are "not human
beings in the same way that you and I are."

"But on the other hand, they're not nothing, either," he said.
"They're not just a bunch of cells.

"They are a human embryo, after all, and they are deserving
of some kind of respect that should prevent us from treating
them with some sort of callous indifference."

Allowing surplus embryos from fertility clinics to be destroyed
and used for research would be more respectful than throwing
them away, he said.

"In this sense, I think, the president's decision is too
restrictive," Morrison said, "and I think this is where politics
may have triumphed over reason."

Julien Murphy, professor of philosophy at the University
of Southern Maine, agreed.

Although embryos have the potential for human life, she said,
not all of them become a full-fledged human being, just as all
seeds do not flower. Some embryos do not implant in the womb,
some are miscarried.

"We're talking about very, very early embryos, 5-day old
embryos," she said.

"When I weigh suffering of a family member with Parkinson's
disease or Alzheimer's disease with the status of a 5-day-old
embryo, that's a very early point on the developmental line."

Bush, she said, is "so severely limiting stem-cell research that
it's going to take a whole lot longer to see what promise it really
holds for curing these diseases."

Harold Jones, president of the Maine Parkinson's Society,
called Bush's decision "good enough for now."

He said Bush struck a good balance between pro-life concerns
and those of people with Parkinson's, Alzheimer's and other
diseases.

"I thought he did a wonderful job," said Jones, who is Bardo's
father.

"I admit to being Republican and all that, but I think this is one
of the defining points of his presidency. It affects so many
people."

Diagnosed five years ago, Bardo still works and even goes
backpacking. But she knows her mobility may not last forever
as her Parkinson's progresses.

"I'm almost 48," she said, "and that's pretty young to have to
think of maybe going downhill."

Bardo said she would even support the idea of creating
human embryos solely for stem-cell research if it could alleviate
human suffering.

"I don't see why that wouldn't be OK to do that if it's helping
people, and there are a lot of people who need help," she said.

Staff Writer Meredith Goad can be contacted at 791-6332
or at:  [log in to unmask]

SOURCE: The Portland Press Herald
http://www.portland.com/news/state/010811stemcell.shtml

* * *