Reporter: Stem cell decision may open door for lawsuits
August 11, 2001 Posted:  6:48 PM EDT (2248 GMT)
Goldstein says research companies that own stem cell lines
may not readily give them up.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Recent polls and the generally muted
opinion of most politicians and scientists indicates most of
America positively greeted President Bush's decision to back
limited funding for stem cell research.

But what will the nation think about the president's decision
one, five or 10 years from now? Time magazine reporter
Andrew Goldstein talked with CNN's Kyra Phillips about this
on Saturday, analyzing the delivery and implications of Bush's
announcement.

PHILLIPS: So are you surprised by the decision?

GOLDSTEIN: I actually was, somewhat. When Karl Rove
floated the idea of this kind of compromise over a month
ago, most people dismissed it because they thought that
it wasn't going to please either side. You end  …
disappointing Catholics and religious conservatives
because we're still funding the destruction of human
embryos, we're profiting from that. And you have
scientists who say that it doesn't give us enough
genetic diversity to really move forward.

PHILLIPS: How effective do you think his speech was for the
people that were a bit confused, not quite sure which side
they wanted to take? Do you think he convinced them to
join his camp?

GOLDSTEIN: I think his speech was excellent. There were some
flash polls done right afterwards that showed that … 75 percent
of the people who watched the speech ended up agreeing with
his decision.  But more importantly, what he wanted to do in that
speech was to appear presidential. This was his first address
to the nation since his inauguration. And really, how he ended
up deciding or what he ended up deciding was not as important
as being able to walk America, in that 10 minute speech,
through his (thought) process and then say, "Look, I am
a thoughtful guy. I can do this job."

PHILLIPS: There are two political battles I want to address.
The first battle is specifically about politics. Where do you
think the pressure will now come from? Will it be the
Christian right politicians?

GOLDSTEIN: My guess is actually not. There have been
some people on the Christian right who have been upset
by this. But most of them have actually been kind of
relieved. They felt that, you know, if it was going to go
in their direction, it would have happened a lot earlier.
And so a lot of them were very, very worried that he was
actually going to approve the Frist compromise, which
would have (backed) much more extensive funding of
stem cell research.

I think what's going to happen is scientists are going
to have harder access to these cell lines, because most
of them are under patents or they're in different countries.
If it turns out that this doesn't open the avenues for
research that Bush says it will, then I think you're going
to get a lot of pressure from the scientific community
and from all the patients groups that want to expand
this a lot further.

PHILLIPS: That was my next question, these cell lines.
Most of them are owned … by private companies, right?

GOLDSTEIN: Right.

PHILLIPS: So how do you mix that with federal funding?

GOLDSTEIN: That's going to be the sticky issue right now.
Most of these companies are private biotech companies
that are out for making profits, and they want to have the
ability later on down the road -- when this eventually
(generates) cures -- to be the ones who profit from it.

Many of them may be willing now, at first, to go ahead
and let researchers play with what they've done. But the
question is going to come later on, to who actually owns
these stem cells? Who should make the money? Who
has royalties? It's very, very murky.

PHILLIPS: I see major lawsuits. Do you agree?

GOLDSTEIN: Yes. It's going to be (a variety of) people who
might be able to sue. How about the moms who gave up the
eggs to allow those stem cell lines to exist? Do they have any
rights when five years down the line, or 20 years down the line,
suddenly there are cures that are making billions of dollars
for these companies? Should they have any access to that
money?

PHILLIPS: One quick question before we let you go,
Andrew, the moral question. I was reading Karen Hughes,
the president's adviser, said that he did not cross the moral
line with this decision. Do you agree with that and what do
you think this decision says about the morals of our
president?

GOLDSTEIN: It's very fine parsing of language to say that
he did not cross the moral line. He is now saying that well,
he's not funding research that involves the further
destruction of human embryos, but he is relying on research
that involved the past destruction of human embryos.
I don't know. If you talk to most ethicists, they would say
that that's really a legitimate ethical distinction.

It's working for Bush right now and I think he can actually
make the argument. But it's a very fine parsing. I'm not sure
that it's going to really fly.

SOURCE: CNN
http://www.cnn.com/2001/ALLPOLITICS/08/11/goldstein.cnna/index.html

* * *