My dad, 82, has Parkinson's and has heard that quinine water can help control his shaking. (He's already taking levdopa and other drugs). Apparently the actor Michael J. Fox made such a claim on the Today Show. Fox's children get him a bottle of quinine water when his shaking is especially bad.

I've checked around and found some evidence that quinine water can help reduce muscle cramping for MS and other neurological conditions. But I've found no literature on Parkinson's & quinine water.

   Does anyone know whether quinine water helps allay parkinson's symptoms?  Are there any dangerous side effects from longterm drinking of quinine water? Will it affect other drugs my dad is taking? And finally, who still makes Quinine water and can I buy it in the Pittsburgh, PA area?

   Your help would be much appreciated.

   One note: tonic water has replaced quinine water in most stores but tonic has a lower concentration of quinine and doesn't appear to have any effect on Parkinson's.

Karl Stark