Bush Goes Soft on Stem Cells
The Two Faces of Paul Gigot
Why Is Gore's Beard So Scary?
Movies: Coppola's Acid Redux
MSN Links
Scoop: on Tom Cruise and Penélope Cruz
Fashion Police on Kidman, Jolie, and Banderas

Presidents Who Think
By Dahlia Lithwick
Posted Friday, Aug. 10, 2001, at 9:32 a.m. PT

So the president has finally put all of us out of our misery, with his
final decision on stem-cell funding. Actually, he's put only some of us out
of our misery, as some of us have to watch medical research move slower
than necessary to help the people we love. Still, the president has made a
Great Decision, and as such, it seems a word about Bush's thinking process
is in order.
Yesterday, as the nation waited for his announcement, not one but four
different flaks, officials, and cronies took time out to tell the public
how very hard the president was thinking about this issue. "Agonizing,"
"grappling," and "worrying" were the words chosen by George W. Bush's aides
and staffers over the past months. "Obsessed," "introspective," and
"consumed" were the descriptors they tossed out, with grave gravity.
Everyone who's lobbied, spoken with, or dealt with the president on stem
cells has been impressed and heartened by the seriousness with which he's
been contemplating this decision. Which leads one inexorably to imagining
the note taped to the door of the Oval Office:
Shhhhhhhhh. The president is thinking.
How many smart people does one have to put on one's staff to communicate
that you are indeed a great thinker? One? Two? Eleven? Why is it that you
never hear about Einstein, or John Kenneth Galbraith, or Martin Buber
sending forth minions into the night to inform the world that the big man
is thinking? Might we not have hoped that the man who runs the country is,
likewise, thinking all the time? How is it possible that we elected a
president to whom the state of being in thought is so utterly foreign that
vast battalions of foot soldiers must be dispatched to the blue room just
to advise us when it's happening?
Have you ever seen a constipated cat? All straining and shaking and
sweating? That's how I've come to imagine this president working through a
tough problem.
No one likes those insidious little comparisons to President Clinton, who
did, after all, do us wrong. But even if you grant that some significant
proportion of Clinton's cognitive time was spent thinking about issues such
as "I wonder, does that bra hook in front or in back," at least no one can
dispute that he was thinking all of the time. He never sent forth minions
to tell us that, Hey! Incredible! The president's thinking ... again.
Lest you think this is all just vestigial post-Florida surliness, let me
just add this gloss: I, for one, am truly proud of the president for his
hard work on sorting through the moral implications of funding research on
embryonic stem cells. Based on last night's speech, he seems to have done
some real sweating and shaking over it. And were he to keep this whole
"thought" thing up consistently, say for 10 or 15 years, he might just
prove himself to be a heck of a candidate for president someday.