Checking this subject, which is a longtime topic of debate, on
http://urbanlegends.about.com/  I found the following information. You can
explore these links at that URL---

                             On the About Network: Amalgam Fillings Reactions

                             Dental Amalgam Fillings
                             Information on the controversy whether dental
amalgam fillings may be
                             harmful to your health.
                             About Allergies

                             Dental Amalgam Fillings - page 2 of 2
                             Information on the controversy whether dental
amalgam fillings may be
                             harmful to your health.
                             About Allergies

                             The Latest On Amalgam Fillings - Dentistry
-Date 04/15/99
                             The Latest On Amalgam Fillings, from your
Mining Co. Guide
                             About Dentistry

                             Connection Between Mercury and Alzheimer's -
Dentistry -Date 06/14/01
                             A Discussion of the Connection Between Mercury
and Alzheimer's, from your
                             About.com Guide
                             About Dentistry

********
The Latest on Amalgam Fillings
                             The use of silver amalgam fillings has been a
controversial issue
                             for the past three decades, reports Denistry
Guide John Brooke.

                             Allergic to Fillings?
                             Allergies to amalgam are extremely rare. From
1905 to 1990, fewer
                             than 50 cases of allergic responses to amalgam
were reported in
                             the scientific literature.

                             Amalgam-Related Illness FAQ
                             There has been concern and debate about
potential/possible
                             (non-allergic) negative health effects from
dental amalgam-fillings.

                             Are 'Silver' Dental Fillings Safe?
                             Pained for years by fatigue, aches, severe
allergies and other
                             chronic ills, Lydia Bronte never suspected
that the cause of her
                             problems might be something in her teeth.

                             Dental Amalgam: Filling a Need or Foiling Health?
                             Despite amalgam's long history of use, some
scientists and
                             consumers are concerned that the mercury from
amalgam
                             restorations might be harmful.

                             Dental Amalgam Mercury Poisoning
                             Until the mid-1980s dentists assumed no
mercury vapor was
                             released from amalgam fillings. Since then,
studies have proven a
                             significant level of mercury vapor is released
by simply chewing your
                             food.

                             Effects and Side Effects
                             Side effects from tooth restorative materials
can be local or
                             systemic, the result of direct injury, or the
result of toxic or allergic
                             reactions.

Just so you can look further-- there does not seem to be one definitive
answer to this question---why am I not surprised ???

Ervin wrote in part---

>Are "Silver" Dental Fillings Safe?
>By Francesca Lyman
>Anyone who has ever had a tooth cavity has probably seen a dentist who
>drilled it and packed it with a "silver" filling. But how many patients know
>what's in that silver? And whether it could have consequences for your
>health?
>Could silver dental fillings be causing, or contributing to, health problems?
>Holistic health advocates, environmentalists and a growing cadre of
>"mercury-free" dentists fear amalgams emit dangerous levels of mercury,
>stirring up a health controversy that goes back 150 years.
SNIPPED

Camilla Flintermann, former CG for Peter 83/70/55
                     Oxford, Ohio

           on the web at   http://www.geocities.com/camillahf/index.html
           and also at   http://members.tripod.lycos.nl/genugten/flinterm.htm

               "Ask me about the CARE list for Caregivers of Parkinsonians ! "
           And visit the CARE webring at http://www.pdcaregiver.org