Date sent:              Tue, 21 Aug 2001 07:38:56 -0500
Send reply to:          Parkinson's Information Exchange Network <[log in to unmask]>
From:                   "Peyton, Ronald" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Historical Roots of Opposition to Stem-cell Research
To:                     [log in to unmask]

> If the body and its desires are so evil, disgusting, nasty, and
> reprehensible that it only serves to enhance the "flesh" to the
> detriment of the "spirit," then why should we have any concern at all
> for our physical health and well-being?  We should ignore it and just
> focus on the "inner man" and prepare for heaven by denigrating and
> denying the "outer body." Such pessimistic thinking based on pagan
> neoplatonism is what has been ingrained within people's thinking for
> centuries (by the church no less!), and is why we're where we are at
> today when something as wonderful and promising as stem cell research
> that could relieve much of humanity's suffering is not quickly
> embraced, but instead becomes a matter of debate and controversy.

Philosophy is wonderful, and I am one of those who enjoys the kind
of debate that Ron makes on the stem cell issue.  I could probably
spend many hours discussing this with him and those others
interested in the exercise.  But this is not the issue.

The issue, at least to me, is pure and simple.  Is it ethical/moral to help
one person at the expense of another?  At the expense of another
human being who has not consented to giving up life or limb for
someone else?  That is the issue.  It comes down to whether one
believes that a human embryo is a human being or not.  If it is indeed a
human being, then sacrificing it, even for the benefit of other human
beings is, to many, a "slippery slope".

Without stating my own position (which many of you probably
know), I have stated the basic issue in the stem cell controversy.  Until
the "personhood" of the embryo/fetus is settled, the controversy will
remain.

Best,

Bob

Robert A. Fink, M. D., F.A.C.S., P. C.
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, California  94704-2636
Telephone:  510-849-2555   FAX:  510-849-2557
WWW:  http://www.rafink.com/

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"