Yahoo Daily News / Reuters
Tuesday August 21  6:03 PM ET
Government Holds Talks on Stem Cell Access
By Will Dunham

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The U.S. National Institutes of
Health (news - web sites) opened talks on Tuesday with a
key Wisconsin group as the agency sought to ensure that
federally funded researchers get access to human embryonic
stem cells from the organizations and companies that hold
supplies of them, officials said.

NIH negotiators met with representatives of the Wisconsin
Alumni Research Foundation (WARF), including University
of Wisconsin stem-cell research pioneer Dr. James Thomson,
to discuss the terms under which these stem cells would be
made available, said foundation spokesman Andrew Cohn.

The two sides also addressed key scientific issues such as
how to evaluate the quality of a stem-cell line, Cohn said.
WARF is a non-profit technology licensing foundation
affiliated with the University of Wisconsin. Thomson in 1998
became the first researcher to isolate human embryonic
stem cells.

The NIH doles out federal medical research money.

President Bush (news - web sites) announced on Aug. 9 that
he will allow federal funding of research involving human
embryonic stem cells -- versatile primitive cells found in
human embryos that can transform into virtually any cell type
in the body.

Researchers hope to develop treatments for various medical
conditions -- including Alzheimer's disease (news - web sites),
Parkinson's disease (news - web sites), juvenile diabetes
and spinal cord injuries -- by using these cells to regenerate
healthy tissue to replace tissue damaged by disease or injury.

But Bush said government money would pay for research
involving only existing stem cell lines -- reservoirs of
genetically identical stem cells derived in laboratories from a
single human embryo. Bush said 60 of these cell lines existed,
although many scientists have questioned that figure.

A NIH spokesman, who asked not to be identified by name,
said the agency this week is speaking with ``all of the holders
of the stem cell lines,'' either in person or by telephone.

``The NIH is very interested in clearing the way to get the
stem cell lines into the hands of NIH-funded researchers as
absolutely quickly as possible. And so the talks would be to
advance that general goal,'' the NIH spokesman said.

NIH officials have said the cell lines are held in the
United States, Australia, Israel, Sweden, Singapore and India.

The NIH has refused to identify the companies or
organizations that possess stem cell lines beyond those that
have stepped forward themselves, which include Geron Corp.
of Menlo Park, California, and Australian companies
BresaGen Inc. and ES Cell International Pte Ltd.

NIH money is critical for allowing U.S. academic scientists
to perform research on human embryonic stem cells -- work
that until now largely has been confined to the private sector.

AUSTRALIAN COMPANY ENVISIONS FREE ACCESS
BresaGen holds four stem cell lines at its U.S. offices in
Athens, Georgia.

Dr. Allan Robins, senior vice president and chief scientific
officer for BresaGen, said the company would allow NIH
researchers free access, provided that the researchers
agreed to give the company first crack at acquiring rights to
any commercially useful applications that are discovered.

``We don't want to restrict the field of use or the research
that the researchers might want to conduct with the cells,''
Robins said. ``Our preference would be to be giving the cells
away -- in other words, no upfront fee -- and that we would
have a first right of refusal to any intellectual property that
was invented using the cells.''

Robins, who said he was heading to Washington to speak
with NIH officials, said the ``only restriction that we can
think of putting in there is that the cells wouldn't be used to
try to clone somebody.''

Cohn, of the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation,
said he did not expect problems in reaching an agreement
with the NIH.  The foundation has five stem cell lines.

``We've been coming to accommodations with researchers
for a year and a half. And we're excited that now there's
federal money available and we'll be able to do that with
more researchers,'' Cohn said.

SOURCE: Yahoo Daily News / Reuters
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010821/sc/health_stemcell_talks_dc_1.html

* * *